Pattern help!

ok i am knitting the D’azur shirt from the recent Sublime book #632. i am ready to shape the armholes and it wants me to decrease 1 stitch at each end of every row for 10 rows.
starting with 140 stitches and ending with 120 stitches…

Row1:   K1, (k2tog, ywfd), k1, *(yfwd, sl1, k1, psso) repeat for a total of 4 times, K2, (k2tog, yfwd) repeat this 4 times, k1, repeat from * to the last 3 stitches (yfwd, sl1, k1, psso)

Row2: Purl entire row

Row3: (k2tog, ywfd), k3, *(yfwd, sl1, k1, psso) repeat for a total of 3 times, k4, (k2tog, yfwd) repeat this for a total of 3 times, k3, repeat from the * to the last 2 stitches ( yfwd, sl1, k1, psso)

Row4: Purl entire row

if anyone could please help me i would love you for life… this is so much work and i just cant imagine trashing it…

whats the question?

my question is how to perform the decreases at each end of theses rows for a total of 10 rows and be able to keep pattern in sequence.

You can skip the YOs.

decrease 1 stitch at each end of every row for 10 rows.
starting with 140 stitches and ending with 120 stitches…
Row1: K1, (k2tog, ywfd), k1, *(yfwd, sl1, k1, psso) repeat for a total of 4 times, K2, (k2tog, yfwd) repeat this 4 times, k1, repeat from * to the last 3 stitches (yfwd, sl1, k1, psso)

Row2: Purl entire row

Row3: (k2tog, ywfd), k3, *(yfwd, sl1, k1, psso) repeat for a total of 3 times, k4, (k2tog, yfwd) repeat this for a total of 3 times, k3, repeat from the * to the last 2 stitches ( yfwd, sl1, k1, psso)

Row4: Purl entire row

First I should say that row 1 doesn’t seem to be written 100% correctly. Only one little thing off. At the end where it says “to last 3 stitches (yfwd, sl1, K1, psso).” The work it gives you to do between the parenthesis only uses 2 stitches not 3, so I think there should be another at the very end. That is the way I did it and it worked.

This is a multiple of 19+7 so I cast on 45 stitches to make a swatch to figure out what to do.
I used a sl1, k1, psso for the decrease at the beginning of the knit rows and a k2tog at the end. I worked the decreases 1 in from the edge, and since you didn’t say otherwise I began the decreases on a row 1 of the pattern (if you are at another point work until you are back at the row 1 so this will work LOL). On the purl rows I still made the decreases 1 in and did a P2tog at the beginning of a row and a P2togtbl (purl 2 together through the back loop) at the end of the rows.

Row by row instructions:

Row 1: K1, sl1, k1, psso, yfwd, k1, *(yfwd, sl1, k1, psso) repeat for a total of 4 times, K2, (k2tog, yfwd) repeat this 4 times, k1, repeat from * to the last 3 stitches k2tog, k1. (138sts)

Row 2 and all even rows: P1, p2tog, purl to last 3 stitches, p2togtbl, p1. (136sts)

Row 3: K1, sl1, k1, psso, k1, *(yfwd, sl1, k1, psso) repeat for a total of 3 times, k4, (k2tog, yfwd) repeat this for a total of 3 times, k3, repeat from the * on the last repeat you will end with (k2tog, yfwd) 2 times instead of 3 times, 4 sts will remain, work them k1, k2tog, k1. (134sts)

Row 4: as row 2 and at end you will have 132sts.

Row 5: K1, sl1, k1, psso, (yfwd, sl1, k1, psso) a total of 3 times, K2, (k2tog, yfwd) repeat this 4 times, k1, *(yfwd, sl1, k1, psso) repeat for a total of 4 times, K2, (k2tog, yfwd) repeat this 4 times, k1, repeat from * and stop wherever you are in the sequence when you have 7 sts left, work them: (k2tog, yfwd) 2 times, K2tog, k1. (130 sts)

Row 6: as row 2; you have 128 stitches left.

Row 7: K1, sl1, k1, psso, k1, yfwd, sl1, k1, psso, k4, (k2tog, yfwd) rep a total of 3 times, k3, *(yfwd, sl1, k1, psso) repeat for a total of 3 times, k4, (k2tog, yfwd) repeat this for a total of 3 times, k3, repeat from *; on your last repeat you will end doing a k4 and have 4 stitches remaining after that. Work them: k1, k2tog, k1. (126sts)
Row 8: as row 2; you have 124sts left.

Row 9: K1, sl1, k1, psso, yfwd, sl1, k1, psso, k2, (k2tog, yfwd) rep a total of 4 times, k1, , *(yfwd, sl1, k1, psso) repeat for a total of 4 times, K2, (k2tog, yfwd) repeat this 4 times, k1, repeat from * , on the last rep you will end with a set of (yfwd, sl1, k1, psso) 4 times, and the k2; 3 stitches will remain. k2tog, k1. (122 sts)

Row 10: as row 2; you have 120 sts left.

marigold i cant thank you enough… i had come to the conculsion today to give it up and now you have made it possible for me… i just could kiss you… i have never been so frustrated and determined at the same time… you were right i did leave that stitch out at the end of row 1 oops… like i said i just cant thank you enough…:muah: :muah: :muah: :muah: :muah: :hug: :heart: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :knitting: :knitting: :knitting: :knitting: :knitting: :knitting:

I thought I had done the decreases right, but when you asked for the repeat rows for the rest of the length I realized I didn’t have the pattern centered 100%. I think I had 5 on one end and 6 on the other or something like that. Wrong anyway. So I redid it. Here is the revised way to decrease it. I hope you didn’t get started the wrong way. :oops: This also includes the 4 rows you’ll need to repeat as you proceed.

New row by row instructions:

Row 1: K1, sl1, k1, psso, yfwd, k1, *(yfwd, sl1, k1, psso) repeat for a total of 4 times, K2, (k2tog, yfwd) repeat this 4 times, k1, repeat from * to the last 3 stitches k2tog, k1. (138sts)

Row 2 and all even rows: P1, p2tog, purl to last 3 stitches, p2togtbl, p1. (136sts)

Row 3: K1, sl1, k1, psso, *(yfwd, sl1, k1, psso) repeat for a total of 3 times, k4, (k2tog, yfwd) repeat this for a total of 3 times, k3, repeat from the * on the last repeat you will end with (k2tog, yfwd) 3 times, 3 sts will remain, work them k2tog, k1. (134sts)

Row 4: as row 2 and at end you will have 132sts.

Row 5: K1, sl1, k1, psso, k1, (yfwd, sl1, k1, psso) a total of 2 times, K2, (k2tog, yfwd) repeat this a total of 4 times, k1, *(yfwd, sl1, k1, psso) repeat for a total of 4 times, K2, (k2tog, yfwd) repeat this a total of 4 times, k1, repeat from *, the last rep is (k2tog, yfwd) a total of 2 times, k1, k2tog, k1. (130sts)

Row 6: as row 2; you have 128 stitches left.

Row 7: K1, sl1, k1, psso, yfwd, sl1, k1, psso, k4, (k2tog, yfwd) rep a total of 3 times, k3, *(yfwd, sl1, k1, psso) repeat for a total of 3 times, k4, (k2tog, yfwd) repeat this for a total of 3 times, k3, repeat from *; on your last repeat you will end doing a k4 and have 5 stitches remaining after that. Work them: k2tog, yfwd, k2tog, k1. (126sts)
Row 8: as row 2; you have 124sts left.

Row 9: K1, sl1, k1, psso, k3, (k2tog, yfwd) rep a total of 4 times, k1, , *(yfwd, sl1, k1, psso) repeat for a total of 4 times, K2, (k2tog, yfwd) repeat this a total of 4 times, k1, repeat from * , on the last rep you will end with a set of (yfwd, sl1, k1, psso) 4 times, and the k3; 3 stitches will remain. k2tog, k1. (122 sts)

Row 10: as row 2; you have 120 sts left.

As you continue to knit over the 120 stitches you will begin on a row 3 of the pattern stitch.

Row 1: (Pattern row 3) K5, (k2tog, yfwd) repeat a total of 3 times, k3, *(yfwd, sl1, k1, psso) a total of 3 times, k4, (k2tog, yfwd) a total of 3 times, k3, repeat from * on last repeat you end with k5.

Row 2: (Pattern row 4) Purl.

Row 3: (Pattern row 1) K4, (k2tog, yfwd) repeat a total of 4 times, k1 *(yfwd, sl1, k1, psso) repeat a total of 4 times, k2, (k2, yfwd) repeat a total of 4 times, k1, repeat from * across ending with a k4.

Row 4: (Pattern row 2) Purl.

Repeat these 4 rows for the length you need.

Sorry for the incorrect information. I hope I have it right this time. I think so. I tried hard. :lol:

Here is a picture of the way it turns out doing it the second way. It is not real different, but makes a big difference.