Pattern Help

What does (rest) in a pattern mean, like Row 1(rest) ? Certainly it doesn’t mean to rest if it’s at the beginning of a pattern.

:think: That’s a new one for me, too! :??

I’ve heard of resting rows where you don’t work the stitch pattern, but just knit or purl.

It’s in the book “Knitting for Dummies”, I’m a beginner knitter and have been working through the book and was going to try making the Chevron sampler on pg.143:

Row 1 (rest): K1, K2tog, *k4, (k1, yo, k1) in next st (double decrease using yo), k4, sl next 2 sts together as if to knit, k1, psso (double decrease); rep from * end ssk, k1.

I got lost on the double decrease using yarn over and the (rest) part is not helping. I looked through the book to see if it explained what rest meant and I cannot find anything. I haven’t been sure if it was a mistake or if it actually means something. :shrug: They also used (rest) on pg 147 in a scarf pattern. It says, Row 1 (rest): Knit.

The k1, yo, k1 is actually a double [I]increase[/I] not decrease (typo?). You knit into a st, leave it on the needle, wrap the yarn around and knit into the stitch again. The double decrease is the sl 2 tog, k1, psso.

Ok, so this isn’t a row you don’t do the pattern on. I think (rest) may be a typo too. The other pattern uses it more like I’ve heard - to denote a resting row you don’t do the pattern stitches on.

Yes, I think so too. I couldn’t find anything about doing decreases with yarn overs just increases… explains why I got lost with this one. Maybe they mean (RS) and not (rest).

Yep, that could be, because it’s definitely a RS row. Any yo is an increase, would not be a part of a decrease.

The stitch pattern: Cast on a multiple of 12 plus 3 stitches
Row 1: K1, K2tog, *k4, (k1, yo, k1) in next st (double increase using yo), k4, sl next 2 sts together as if to knit, k1, psso (double decrease); rep from * end ssk, k1.
Row 2: Purl

A few things:

1.) The pattern says to cast on a multiple of 12 stitches plus 3 (includes an extra stitch on each side for a selvage stitch). So I cast on 27 and it doesn’t seem to be working with the pattern, am I doing something wrong?

2.) A selvage stitch is when you slip the first and last stitch as if to knit? If so, then are you supposed to slip the first stitch, then knit the next one, or do you slip the first one then k2 tog?

3.) When the pattern says, in next st (double increase using yo), is that referring to the (k1, yo, k1) part or does it mean to increase in the first of the next k4 stitches?

Wow-- this book has more typos than correct statements. The plus 3 doesn’t make sense. I think they meant plus 6.

Actually, none of it makes sense. Yes, there are 12 sts in the pattern. In every other row, you are increasing by 2 sts, and then decreasing by 2 sts. So far so good. But then there are 3 extra sts AT EACH EDGE. That makes +6, not +3. Not only that, but in each set of the those 3 edge sts, you are supposed to decrease by 1. This means that after the first Row 1 that you do, you are going to constantly be taking away 1 stitch from the sets of 12-- those decreases by 1 have to come from somewhere.

I do think that they meant for, in addition to the multiple of 12 + 3, they meant that there will also be 1 extra stitch at each edge for a selvage st, and that that isn’t part of the Row 1 directions. However, you would have to purl all the sts, including the selvedge sts, on the Row 2s.

But here’s my real advice: find another pattern. This one is a mess. There are plenty of blankets and scarves here: www.knittingpatterncentral.com and here: www.knitty.com and here: www.lionbrand.com .

I agree, it should be 12 sts +6, that will work better.

If you want to slip the first st (you don’t have to) do that to the first one instead of knitting it, then k2tog on the next 2. The K yo K in the next stitch is the double increase, then you knit 4 and do the double decrease - sl 2, k1, psso.

suzeeq, I think that the selvege st is in addition to the 3 edge sts? No? This pattern is so crazy. And then there’s that issue of constantly decreasing in the 3 edge sts and never making up for it, so you end up with a triangle, which I’m sure is not the design for a beginner sampler. Hm.

Not necessarily. A selvedge st is just the one on the end, and may not be extra. And you’re right - if both ends have decs on them and there’s no inc, it’s going to turn out a weird shape. Even with making a selvedge st on the ends, it’s not going to be added every row, so you’ve got 2 less sts the next row.

Find another pattern fairydust, this one isn’t right and I can’t find errata for it. In addition to the sites linked above, there’s quite a few blanket patterns at http://www.dailyknitter.com and http://www.knittingonthenet.com

LOL, I had a feeling I was going to hear this. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn’t misunderstanding the pattern, because up until that pattern the book has been very helpful to me. I was trying to make this sampler to understand increases and decreases better. After trying it though I thought I would never be able to learn to do increases and decreases, but then after learning the first two typos, I thought maybe the whole thing is messed up - I am relieved to know that it is so there is still hope for me yet. Thank you for helping me.

Thank goodness for this forum! I’m a newbie to knitting and to this forum. I purchased the same book “Knitting for Dummies” and so far have enjoyed it until I came to the chapter on increasing and decreasing.
The pictures and demonstrations are fine but when I started this Chevron pattern, not only was my yarn frayed but so were my nerves!
K1, YO, K1 in the same stitch didn’t seem like a decrease to me and after trying the pattern, I figured out it was actually a double increase. My version doesn’t have (rest), it actually does say (RS) so they fixed that - but not the pattern - which I quickly discovered mysteriously lost two stitches after doing the pattern row between the purl rows.
So, not knowing much about knitting other than knits and purls, I tried some basic math with the pattern - two decreases was (-2), a double increase (+2), and a double decrease (-2) let to a net change in stitches of (-2) which explained where my stitches “went”.
I logged on to KnittingHelp to pose my question and low and behold, someone already asked it! This saved me a lot of time so I’ll search for a new pattern online. Thanks KnittingHelp.com!

You must have missed an increase somewhere in the repeat.