Pattern Help

I am knitting a hat that will be felted. It is from SandnesGarn Toving TEMA 06. Along the mid back, eyelets are being created. The first eyelet is created while knitting back and forth.

The pattern reads as follows:

On the next row make an eyelet at each side of mid back as follows: K1 edge st, k2, cast off next 2 sts, k 76, cast off next 2 sts, k2 and k1 edge st. On the following row cast on 2 new sts above the cast-off sts and there are again 86 sts on the row. Now the hat is worked st st in a circular manner, and on the first row p the first and last st tog {= mid-back}. This st is worked p on all rows. At the same time work eyelets at each side of mid back every 6 rows as before until there are 5 eyelets in the height.

[COLOR=“Navy”]Due to the decrease to 85, the above eyelet pattern does not work and it creates the right side eylet to be more offset the mid-back than the left side eyelet. I’ve never made a hat before. I’m not sure if the problem is the pattern or my limited knowledge or if it should be offset. To compensate for the loss of one stitch, I tried elminating the K 1 edge, but they do not line up properly. I tired emailing SandnesGarn and Norwegian Spirit, but have recevied no help. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. [/COLOR]

K1 edge st, k2, cast off next 2 sts, k 76, cast off next 2 sts, k2 and k1 edge st.

It shouldn’t be offset and here is why. V=knit stitch c=cast off stitch.

At first you have a flat piece like this:
VVVcc_______________work to end__________ccVVV

Then when you connect the two you have right at the seam:
ccVVPVVcc The outside V on each side mesh to form the P=purl that is right at the seam, but you still have everything even on each side.

Is this worked in a stockinette stitch? I don’t know how experienced you are and maybe you don’t need this help, but here is what you do. I made a tiny hat of 16 stitches and made a set of eyelets flat and one lined up in the round. I did mine in st st (stockinette st).

On the flat eyelet row you will: K5, lift one over, K1, lift one over, that gives you the 3 at the edge, then knit across to the last 5, K1, lift 1 over, K1, lift one over, knit 2. That gives the 3 past the eyelet.

Next row: P3, cast on 2 (I used a simple backward loop CO), Purl till 3 sts remain, CO2, P2.

After that I needed to knit one row even before I divided the stitches on dpns (or a circular) so that the working yarn was coming from the right needle tip.

Tink back the last stitch on the right needle and slip the last stitch to the left needle tip. P2tog, and then knit around.

Eyelet round: P1 (seam stitch), K4, lift 1 over, K1, lift 1 over (this gives 2 knit stitches after the seam stitch and then the eyelet). K around to last 3 stitches, K1, lift 1 over, K1, lift 1 over, K1. (that gives you an eyelet and two knit stitches past it.

Next round: P1, K2, CO2, knit around till 2 stitches remain on the round and CO2, K2.

First, thank you for your help. Yes, it is worked in St st. I am self taught and have been able to complete some complicated sweaters, but every now and then stumble over directions.

The directions are having me knit four before the cast off on the eyelet row, where you are saying to knit five, then cast off the 1st st. That (along with your diagram) makes more sense. I thought that my error may have been in p2tog as compared to joining by purling the next st.

Also, I do not have to work an extra row to get to the yarn on the right side, as the pattern starts on the wrong (purl) side.

Thanks again! I will try it again.
Adagio

I try hard to write things out correctly, but I was double checking what I said to you and found one error when I tried to do what I said. LOL

On the flat eyelet row you will: K5, lift one over, K1, lift one over, that gives you the 3 at the edge, then knit across to the last 5, K1, lift 1 over, K1, lift one over, knit 2. That gives the 3 past the eyelet.
What I wrote at the beginning of the row works but it should say to knit across to the last 4 and then K1, lift 1 over, K1, lift one over, knit 2, to give you the three past the eyelet hole.

I hope I didn’t make any more mistakes. My knitting turned out right, but getting it all written right is hard sometimes. Just remember to do the knits and lift overs where you need them to get it to turn out the way it is in the little diagrams I gave. Good luck.

[B][COLOR=“darkorchid”]Yes, I picked up on that. At first I was, “what did I do now?” Thank you again! It looks great now. :woot: [/COLOR][/B]