Pattern Help!

I am trying my first non scarf pattern. It is a pair of pants from www.bernat.cm/chicksknit.

Here are the directions:

Beg at waist, cast on [B]101[/B] sts.

Beg with a knit row, work 2 rows stocking st.

[I]Do I do two complete rows in knit and purl, or just knit the first row, then knit and purl?[/I]

[B]Shape back: Next Row:[/B] Knit to last [B]13[/B] sts. [B]Turn.[/B]
Leave rem. st unworked

[I]What do I do with the unworked stitches???[/I]

AAARRGGG!! This is only the beginning lol… Am I in over my head??? Please help me!! TIA!

Knit the first row, purl the 2nd one. Next row knit only 13sts and turn, leave the unworked sts on your needle. If you read ahead you may be knitting more sts each RS row and using up the unworked ones. This is called doing short rows. Or they may be on there for a few more rows and you do something else with them. Just follow the pattern, stitch by stitch and row by row and you’ll be fine.

Thank you for your help. Now I am stuck again :??

First off, when I reattached the unworked stitches, I have a big hole (about 10 rows were made without working the last stitches.) I am assuming that is supposed to be happening? This is to shape the back. I will be picking up stitches again when I am going to work the waistband, and I don’t know if I have done this correct, as my picture does not show the back of the project.

Second, my next step says to increase at the end of the next rows. Do I just cast on the required stitches to do this?

TIA!

Hmm, I think I may have figured out what I am doing wrong with the unworked stitches. I will let you know how it turns out LOL. Silly me forgot to do one small step on my repeating rows, so off to frog I go!

I tried your link to see the pattern or at least what it looks like and it goes to a site that’s agoga.com… And I misread what you wrote - knit until you have 13 sts left, then turn. Agggh. So without looking at the pattern, I can’t really answer your question. Just doing a turn will leave some holes. After you turned, did the next row have you slip the first st? That helps fill in the gap some.

Ok, so I need to proofread before I post LOL. It’s supposed to be www.bernat.com/chicksknit. The pattern reads as this:

[B]Shape Back: Next Row:[/B] Knit to last (14) sts. Turn. Leave rem sts unworked.
[B]Next row:[/B] purl.
Rep last 2 rows 5 times.

[I]This is where I had made my first error. I forgot to leave the 14 unworked stitches [B]each[/B] knit row LOL[/I]

[B]Next Row:[/B] Knit across all sts. Beg with a purl row, cont in stocking st until work at center front (shorter end) measures (7 1/2) ins, ending with a purl row.

I get this now (Thanks for the explanation above, it really did help!) Now is where I am getting confused again:

[B]Shape Crotch:[/B] Inc 1 st each end of next and following rows twice. Purl one row

[B]Next Row:[/B] Cast on (5) sts. Knit to end of row.

[B]Next Row:[/B] Cast on (3) sts. Purl to end of row. Place a marker at beg of row. (115) sts.

So I did the math on the extra 14 sts and where they come from, I do get that. I know how to cast on at the beginning of a new row. I am just not sure how to add my increases at the end of my rows (twice!)

And I think that I should be able to get the remainder of the pattern on my own lol. These were just two techniques I couldn’t figure out.

TIA

There are a number of different increases you could use. I’ve never done pants so I’m not sure what would be the best for that purpose, but I do know that you should NOT use a yarn over, it will create a hole. You can do a KFB (knit in the front and back of the same stitch) or a M1 (lift the bar in between two stitches and make it a new stitch), and there are others as well- check out the ‘increases’ page in the ‘view videos’ section of this site.

For 1 st, you don’t CO on the st, you would just do an increase, like kfb or m1 between the end st and one st in. Where you CO more than 1 st, use the knit or cable COs; the backward loop CO isn’t so great to use.