Pattern help

Has anyone here ever knit this vest from this pattern?

http://www.dailyknitter.com/michelle.html

I’ve cast on 64 stitches on my knitting needle, and I’ve worked about 5 or 6 inches of the back. This is probably a dumb question but when it says work to 12 inches, does that include the ribbing or not?

Also, after you get to 12 inches you’re supposed to do this:
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=2][COLOR=Indigo] To shape the armholes, BO 2 stitches at the beginning of the next 2 rows and then BO 1 stitch at the beginning of the nest 4 (5, 6) rows. Continue in Stockinette stitch until piece measures 14 1/2" (15 ½", 16 ½").

[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]Okay, so I admit I’m a novice and I simply don’t understand what I’m reading above. What I visualize in my head from those directions is a back piece which has become narrower on one side but not the other!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Melody

Usually it means until the whole piece is X inches from the cast on. 12" sounds about the right length from the underarm to the bottom for a small or med size.

When you BO at the beginning of the next 2/4/6 rows, it decreases both sides. Even if you BO/dec 1 extra stitch on one side, (BO on 5 rows) it won’t be noticeable. [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=2][/SIZE][/FONT]

Thank you for the help! Somehow it just didn’t sound right to me but - duh - I get it now. I need a duncecap smiley for me! :wink: