Pattern Help

Hi!

I am currently trying to make this shawl I found https://www.yarnspirations.com/caron-knit-shawl-on-the-bias/CAK0126-026962M.html from yarnspirations. I am confused when they have this for one of the rows:

Cast off 4 sts (1st on right needle after cast off). K1. *yo. K2tog. Rep from * to last st. Kfb

Any help would be much appreciated!

Welcome to KH! Nice pattern! I expect it’s the bind/cast off at the beginning of the row that’s confusing. This is what will make that lovely toothed edge. Knit the first 2 sts, pass the second over as usual for binding/casting off. Count the passed stitch as 1, continue binding off until you’ve passed 4 sts off. Continue knitting the rest of the row as directed. If this doesn’t answer your question let us know.
~GG

1 Like

Yes thank you for the help! The 1st on right needle after cast off phrase was throwing me off on what to do. I assume they are just telling you that there will be a stitch on the right needle after casting off the 4 and then you knit the next stitch and follow the asterisks?

Thank you!

1 Like

Yes. That’s correct. You want 2 knits on the needle before the yo. Unless the stitch count doesn’t work out right. I think that a yarnspirations pattern would mean to go ahead and k1.

Thank you so much for the help!

You’re welcome. If you have more questions be sure to ask. Soon you’ll be helping someone else. That’s the way it works.

I think it means that the first stitch WILL BE on the right needle after you cast off. Because it was used together with the last cast off stitch but isn’t itself cast off. So really that was just a remark to clarify counting.

2 Likes