Pattern help

Hello

I’m confused by these directions ( I’m making a baby cardigan and this is a decrease row that is also making eyelets for a ribbon to go through. It’s the middle of the back section. The cardigan is in moss stitch)
(P3tog, yrn, k1, p1, sl 1, k2tog, psso, yrn, p1, k1)
I’m confused by the first yrn as it isn’t followed by a pearl stitch so do I go just half way round or bring the wool back to a knit position before taking the yarn round? The 2nd yrn is starting from a knit position so again do I move the yarn front and then go round or just move it half way?
Also is there a way to keep the decreases from this row but not make the eyelets? I’d prefer to just make the cardigan without a ribbon tie but I don’t know how to do just the decreases without making eyelets.
Thank you!

I’m confused by the first yrn as it isn’t followed by a pearl stitch so do I go just half way round or bring the wool back to a knit position before taking the yarn round? The 2nd yrn is starting from a knit position so again do I move the yarn front and then go round or just move it half way?

YRN is a YO (yarn over) which is an increase, but also creates an eyelet so you just bring the yarn forward and the over the top of the right needle and knit normally.

Also is there a way to keep the decreases from this row but not make the eyelets? I’d prefer to just make the cardigan without a ribbon tie but I don’t know how to do just the decreases without making eyelets.

You need the decreases to balance out the increases made by the YRN (YO) so your stitch count will remain the same. If the number of decreases equals the number of increases and the row is supposed to end with the same stitch count you could probably just knit the row without either and make it without eyelets.

Can you please tell us the pattern name and post a link to it? (Don’t post the whole pattern just a link) That is always helpful to us when you’re asking questions and we can give a better answer. Without the pattern we sometimes have to give you a general answer without specifics to your pattern.

Welcome to the forum!
Yrn or yarn round the needle can be worked as shown in this video (5min:40sec) where you bring the yarn over the right needle to the back to work the knit stitch. Just make sure you’re leaving some yarn in the yarn over and not pulling it too tightly over the needle.

Starting from a knit stitch, bring the yarn to the front between the needles, over the right needle and then to the front again between the needles to work the next purl (~7min:40sec)

You could work the row with simple decreases at each end if you do a ssk at the beginning of the row and k2tog at the end. Actually, it’s neater to work these decreases one stitch in from each end.

Thanks for your help.
The row is supposed to decrease from 71 to 59 stiches. I thought about just doing a normal row but then the cardigan won’t be as shaped.
The pattern is from a book - The Knitter’s Year by Debbie Bliss - so I can’t post a link.

You can post the actual pattern name and we can find it usually.

In this case you need to decrease or it won’t look the same.

A post was split to a new topic: Help with hooded poncho

Thanks. It’s just Baby Cardigan by Debbie Bliss from The Knitter’s Year

Cute! So now looking at it I have a question. Does the pattern have increases after the eyelets? If so what would happen if you skipped the decreases, eyelets, and increases is you’d just have a straight sweater. Since it’s for a baby this may be fine if that’s what you’d prefer.