Pattern help

Can someone explain to me exactly how to knit the first two rows using the selvedge method described in this pattern as I can’t get it to work with 97 stitches. Thank you

I don’t see how it works. The pattern repeat seems to be 3 + 2 to begin with. K1, yo, k2tog tbl takes 3 sts and leaves you with 3sts. If you work the pattern with 98sts, it would be the 4 selvedge sts to begin, repeats of 3sts ending with 1 selvedge stitch.
Maybe seeing the pattern photo will help. Can you give us the pattern name or a link?

This is the pattern picture. Do I have to have 4 selvidge stitches? Can you suggest a way that would work? Thank you so much for your help!

Very nice.
The purpose of the selvedge sts is to give you the edge that the designer wanted at the neck and hem. You could work the 4 selvedge sts at the beginning of the row and one at the end as given for the first row WS then again 4 selvedge at the beginning of the RS row and one at the end. This works with the cast on of 98sts.

Later the pattern changes to 98sts anyway with 4selvedge sts on each side. That’ll work with the same 98sts.

You might try these edges on a small swatch just to see if you like the look. It’s probably worth emailing the company too to ask about the multiple given in the pattern.

Would you mind ‘writing’ out the two rows for me please, I would really appreciate that. Thank you

WS: [slip one stitch as if to purl with yarn in front, k1] twice, (k1, yo, k2tog tbl) to the last stitch, slip 1.
RS: [k1, slip one stitch as if to purl with yarn in back] twice, (k1, yo, k2tog tbl) to the last stitch, k1.

I would use a k1 at the end of the RS row in order to avoid a slip one at the end of a row followed by a slip one at the beginning of the next row.

Thank you so much. I shall now start again - for the zillionth time