Pattern help please

I have just completed the front of a toddler’s dress and the shaping isn’t right. The pattern is from simply knitting magazine - August 2009 entitled “Little Knit.” This pattern is also on your website under free patterns and as this pattern is supposed to be ideal for novice knitters and I’ve been knitting for several years, I feel somewhat demoralised. The problem arose when commencing the left bodice. After following instructions for the three rows which read "K2, p1, k1 rep to last 2 sts, k2. Next row p1, k1 rep to last st. p1. Next row: is the same as the first which ends up with ws facing to commence the next row. The instructions for the left bodice are then given as cast off 5sts at beg of next row, P30, slip rem 38sts onto a holder. Continuing in st st, dec 1st at beg of next 6 ws rows. This actually is the right bodice. What am I missing? The stitch count also doesn’t seem to be right. I hope you can help. There are 73sts at the start of commencing the bodice. The pattern doesn’t instruct to turn the work before commencing in st st.

Thank you.

I think that “easy” and “novice” are designations to trap knitters. Those patterns are the source of so many problems.
Sounds like the right front bodice to me too. Sometimes front left and right get confused even for designers.
I assume the cast off of 5sts is the underarm. The stitch count is ok, 5 + 30 + 38.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply. I’ve actually undone the work to the point where instructions for the left bodice are given. The first time around I just carried on but then found the stitch count didn’t work out and it doesn’t seem to whatever side is worked. The directions are: decrease 1st at beg of next 6 ws rows and then to cast off 6sts and to k16 and then to dec 1st at beg of foll 11 rs rows which should leave 7 sts and then to work 8 rows. The straps weren’t long enough and the front doesn’t measure up to the back. On the “right side”, the instructions are cast off 3 sts but these don’t come at the armhole edge which made the front oval in shape with a piece of 3sts which stuck out. I don’t really know what to do.

Weird. I understand your predicament. Can you post a link to the pattern?

No not really. It is a cut out from the magazine that somebody gave me. It is also in the free patterns on the Knitting help patterns.

OK, here’s what I think it going on. The pattern may have right and left confused so you need to keep armhole edge and neck edge in mind. The 3 sts hanging out in the middle are for the placket which should have directions further on in the pattern maybe under Collar or Finishing.
IMG_2744
This would be worked in the direction from bottom to top.

There’s a button band and button hole band to be knitted by the pick up and knit stitches method. The buttonhole band says pick up and knit 12sts from LH beg at bottom. The button band says pick up and knit 12 sts beginning at the top. I don’t understand why there are 38sts on one side of the bodice and 35 on the other. The stitch count in the instructions just don’t make any sense. This pattern is also for sale on ebay by a seller called usherscrafts. You can zoom on the pattern, but can’t see the instructions. I can try to email it to you.

Thanks for your help.

In the diagram on my last post, down at the bottom, there are 3 sts. Those sts are probably bound off when you work the other front. They give you the opening for the placket which is then picked up along the vertical edges. The lower edge of the button band and buttonhole bands will be stitched down along the opening left by the 3 sts.
Once you subtract the 3 sts from the 38 held sts you’re back to 35sts each front.IMG_2746

Thank you very much for your diagram and the way you explain things makes sense. It does seem however that the three stitches cast off are on the right side which has the least stitches:
Right bodice

Rejoin yarn at armhole edge. Working sts from holder, cast off 5sts, K33. Next Row: Cast off 3sts, P30. Dec 1st at beg of next 6 RS rows. Next Row: Cast off 6sts, P16. Dec 1st at end of foll 11 RS rows (7) sts. Work 8 rows. Cast off.

Left bodice

Cast off 5sts at beg of next row, P30; slip rem 38sts onto a holder. Continuing in st st, dec 1st at beg of next 6 WS rows. Cast off 6sts, K16. Dec 1 st at beg of foll 11 RS rows (7 sts). Work 8 rows. Cast off.

I have undone the work until I’ve now got the wrong side facing and according to the pattern now have to begin the left bodice, if the pattern has transposed the right and left sides of the bodice, how do I now proceed? Do I rejoin the yarn to the other side and commence instructions for the left bodice? The straps also end up with 7 sts whereas the front had 8. This is so confusing, it seems that improvising has to be necessary.

Actually this makes sense switching the right bodice before the left. These are defined as you would wear the dress.

Right bodice (WS facing):
Cast off 5sts at beg of next row (armhole on WS), P30; slip rem 38sts onto a holder. Continuing in st st, dec 1st at beg of next 6 WS rows (armhole). Cast off 6sts (neck edge), K16. Dec 1 st at beg of foll 11 RS rows (neck edge) (7 sts). Work 8 rows. Cast off.

So starting with a purl row the cast off of 5 plus the P30 is 35sts total on the right bodice. That leaves 38sts for the holder (3 center sts plus 35 left bodice).

Left bodice (RS facing):
Rejoin yarn at armhole edge. (RS facing) Working sts from holder, cast off 5sts (armhole), K33. Next Row (WS): Cast off 3sts, P30. Dec 1st at beg of next 6 RS rows (armhole). Next Row: Cast off 6sts (neck), P16. Dec 1st at end of foll 11 RS rows (neck)(7) sts. Work 8 rows. Cast off.

Again here there’s the cast off of 5, 30sts (35 total for the bodice) and then the 3 center sts which are cast off on the WS row.

Thank you so much for rewriting that last piece of pattern. I have now completed it and couldn’t have done it without you. I’ve just finished mopping the perspiration from my brow!

Thanks again

Chris

1 Like

That is a triumph! Good for you. I’m sure the dress is going to be adorable.

Chris, congratulations to you on your perseverance, with the wise help of the amazing salmonmac.

Thank you. I couldn’t have done it without the expert assistance.