Pattern Help Please

Working on the #955 Volute by Julie Turjoman and I’m not understanding when to do the decreases I can’t seem to get the math to work. The way I’m interpreting the pattern I only get 40 sts decreased whereas according to the pattern I should be decreasing 80 sts total.

I’m doing the smallest size which says to cast on 202 sts and that I should end up with 122 sts.

Wondering if someone could write this in a slightly different way to make it more clear.

Thanks so much!
Linda

Directions:

CO 202 (238, 266) sts.

Set Up Cable Patt:
Rnd 1: *Work Rnd 1 of Texture Patt to m, sl m, work Rnd 1 of Side Cable 1 to m, sl m, work Rnd 1 of Center Cable to m, sl m, work Rnd 1 of Side Cable 2 to m, sl m; rep from * once more.
Rnd 2: *Work Rnd 2 of Texture Patt to m, sl m, work Rnd 2 of Side Cable 1 to m, sl m, work Rnd 2 of Center Cable to m, sl m, work Rnd 2 of Side Cable 2 to m, sl m; rep from * once more.
Next Rnd (Texture Decrease Rnd): K2tog, work in Texture Patt as est to 2 sts before m, ssk, work next rnd of Side Cable 1 to m, sl m, work next rnd of Center Cable to m, sl m, work next rnd of Side Cable 2 to m, sl m; rep from * once more. 4 sts dec’d.
Cont in patts as est until, within the Side Cable patts, Rnds 1 - 6 of Side Cable patts have been worked 8 (8, 10) times, followed by Side Cable Rnds 7 through 28 (28, 26), and AT THE SAME TIME, rep Texture Decrease Rnd every 8 (4, 4) rnds 1 (16, 8) time(s), then every 7 (0, 3) rnds 8 (0, 14) times.
Work even in patts as est, if necessary, until pc meas approx 15 (15, 17)”, ending with Rnd 10 or 20 of Center Cable patt.
BO rem 122 (130, 134) sts.

Welcome to the forum!

Well, I get the same numbers, 10 decrease rounds for a total of 40sts decreased in size small. Each size is 40 sts short of the expected number according to the pattern. Best to write to the designer and ask about the pattern numbers. I’d love to know the answer too. It’s a very pretty cape or poncho.

Thank you so much for your help. As least I know I’m not missing something. I appreciate it.

I’ve sent a message to the designer and to Webs where I bought the pattern. I’ll let know know what I find out.

Thanks again,

Linda

1 Like

Just heard back from the designer and there are decreases in the Side Cable 1 and 2 sections that make up the other 40 decreases. Wanted to let you know that the pattern is correct in case you want to make it someday.

Thanks again for your attempt to help.

1 Like