Pattern help please

I’ve had several tries at this pattern for a preemie baby hat which I downloaded as a free pattern from the internet. I end up losing stitches. The instructions are:

Cast on 49 stitches and work three rows of garter stitch and then commence pattern:

1st row: K1 *yarn forward knit 2 slip 1. Knit 2 together PSSO knit 2 yarn forward repeat from * to end.

At the end of the first row I end up with 48 stitches.

The pattern seems to indicate that there are double yarn forwards in this sequence which result in yarn round needle which doesn’t seem to work out. The second row is a purl row.

Can you help please?

There’s a mistake in the pattern to begin with. It probably should be a cast on of 50sts. The repeat takes 7sts and leaves you with 7sts. There are 2 yarn overs and 2sts decreased (the k2tog and the psso) so there’s no gain or loss of sts.
If you repeat the sts between the asterisks 7 times, that’s 49sts and the k1 at the beginning makes 50sts for the cast on. If you’re losing a stitch it may well be a random mistake instead of a consistent one in each repeat.
Try adding markers every 7sts to make it easier to count and to see where the error happens.
Maybe this bonnet pattern?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/stoke/my_pages/babywear/hkp/016.shtml

1 Like

Thanks for your reply. Yes that is the link to the garment I’m knitting. I’ll try what you suggest.
Chris

I must have tried this pattern over half-a-dozen times now and it still loses stitches. As I said, when knitting between the asterisks there’s two yarn forwards together which results in a yarn around the needle followed by knit stitches. This doesn’t seem right at all.

1st row: K1 *yarn forward knit 2 slip 1. Knit 2 together PSSO knit 2 yarn forward repeat from * to end

Are you remembering to purl the double yarn overs as 2sts on the next row? If you put in the markers, do you have 7sts between each of the markers? As I mentioned, if you’re only one or two sts off, it shouldn’t be a consistent mistake, just a random error in one or two repeats. There are 7 repeats of 7 sts so you’d expect to be off by 7sts if it’s a consistent mistake.
Maybe try it on scrap yarn with only 3 repeats plus one (a cast on of 22sts) and see if that’ll work.

A post was split to a new topic: P2, yb, sl1, k1 help

Yes I do know to purl the double y/o’s but the result is just so ugly as it makes a large eyelet with another eyelet by the side of it. Perhaps I should mention that this lace pattern is a horseshoe. Most irritatingly I know I’ve done this successfully before but Lord knows how. The pattern is over six rows and is:
Cast on 49 sts and work 3 rows of garter stitch.
Commence pattern:
1st row: K1 yarn forward knit 2 slip 1. Knit 2 together PSSO knit 2 yarn forward repeat from * to end.
2nd row: Purl
3rd row: Knit 2 *yf, k1 sl1. K2 tog PSSO k1 yf k3 repeat from * to the last 7 sts yf, k1, sl1, k2 tog, PSSO k1, yf, k2.
4th row: Purl
5th row: K3 * yf, sl1, k2 tog psso k5 repeat from * to the last 6 sts yf, sl1, k2 tog, psso, yf, k3.
6th row: Purl

Do you work a knit then purl (or a purl then a knit) into the double yarn over? That will pull it into one eyelet flanked by 2 knit sts. It will still be larger that a single yarn over, however.

I do exactly as the pattern says which I’ve detailed and really can’t see where I’m doing anything wrong. I’ve already knitted the matinee jacket which I’ve put together despite the pattern giving no instructions on how to do so. This really is a most difficult pattern.

Aha, the only way I can get this pattern to work is to change the number of sts in the odd number rows. I assumed that the centered double decreases (the sl1, k2tog, PSSO) should line up. Keep them aligned to stay on track with the pattern and count sts every row. I also worked the double yarn over as a purl the first yo, purl through the back loop into the 2nd yo.
Then here is the modified pattern:

Cast on 50 stitches and work 3 rows on garter stitch (every row knit)
Commence Pattern
1st row:-- K1yarn forward Knit 2 Slip 1. Knit 2 together PSSO Knit 2 Yarn Forward Repeat from * to end Don’t forget the final yf. You can thumb cast on a stitch here if you like.
2nd row :–Purl (purl first yo, ptbl 2nd yo)
3rd row :-- Knit 2 * YF,K1, SL1.K 2 tog PSSO K1 YF K2 Repeat from
to last 6 sts YF,K1, SL1,K2 tog PSSO K1 YF, K1
4th row :-- Purl
5th row:-- K3* YF,SL1.K2 tog PSSO, yf, k4 Repeat from * to the last 5 stitches YF, SL1,K2tog,PSSO.YF,K2
6th row:-- Purl

I’ll post a photo of the test knit done on 22sts (3 repeats of 7sts plus one stitch). I repeated the above rows twice. .

1 Like

Thanks so much for this and for saying a thumb cast on would work too. I’ll try this.
Chris

i ended up with 48 too, What happens on 3rd row? does it come back to 49

So annoying when a pattern doesn’t work out right, you cant end up with knit two at the end either

I tried to correct the pattern at least as it seemed to me. There may be other ways to do it, too.
Did you try making a thumb loop cast on at the end of row 1? The missing stitch was the final yarn over for me.