Pattern help please - German short rows

Hi, I am stuck with the following instructions - at the 3rd paragraph :

"Continue knitting in plain stockinette and decrease 10 more stitches at
the beginning of every row for the neckline by knitting the first stitches together (= 85 stitches
remaining).
Now half of the required chest measurement less 4 cm (ab. 1.6 in.) should be completed. If
not, add more rows in plain stockinette without decreases.

Work 2 rows in reverse stockinette. The next row starts at the base-line: work 3 short-rows
with 15 stitches between the double stitches as described above. Purl 1 more row and stop
knitting without bind-off, park remaining stitches on the 2nd needle".

I did reverse stockinette - I think that means purl where you should knit, knit where you should purl? So then my 3rd row would start with a purl. How do I do German short rows beginning with a purl row?

Thanks!!!
Abbey16

Yes, reverse stockinette means that the purl side instead of the knit side of the stockinette is facing the RS or public side of the garment.
This video show German short rows from the purl side at about the 2 minute point.

Hi Salmonmac, thanks for helping me. I’m still not getting it - I watched the video, it seems like at the 2 minute mark it’s showing how to work the 2nd row of the German short row (in purl) - with the first row in knit. I think my pattern has the first row as purl (not knit)?

georgia

Yes, that’s the way she teaches the German short rows in the video but you can work them in any order that you wish. The short rows don’t have to be done in pairs starting with the knit row. You can even work a short row on only the purl side and that seems to be what your pattern is calling for. When you work the knit side, you’ll pick up the double stitch.

Follow the video for the purl side short row.

Oh boy, I’ve done it wrong from the beginning -rip, rip and start over :slight_smile:
I’m also confused by this (in italics):

Knit 4 rows followed by 6 short rows over 10 stitches (10 + 10 +10 +10 + 10 + 10): knit 10 st,
*turn and work double stitch, purl back, slip last stitch purlwise (always slip last st pw and knit
1. st, only in case of increasing purl last st.).

Well, I’m confused too. Can you give us a pattern name or a link to the pattern, please?

Ah, OK, thank you. Very nice looking top.
For a neater edge, slip the last stitch of the row purlwise (touch the tips of the needles and let the stitch slip from the left needle to the right) and knit the first stitch of the row. If there is an increase, then purl the last stitch of the row.

Thanks! I think she made an error where I did bold/highlight saying “Bind off 15 stitches”: - i tried it, and had it rip it out - I think you need to bind off at the END of the row…II put the whole instruction from beginning to give you context. I think you are starting with the RIGHT front piece. Agree?

Front:
Provisional cast-on: 80 stitches with scrap yarn (or number of stitches needed for desired
length).
Knit 4 rows followed by 6 short rows over 10 stitches (10 + 10 +10 +10 + 10 + 10): knit 10 st,
*turn and work double stitch, purl back, slip last stitch purlwise (always slip last st pw and knit

1. st, only in case of increasing purl last st.). Knit to double stitch, knit the 2 loops of the
    double stitch together, knit 10* repeat 5 times more.
    Knit to end of row. Increase 1 stitch through the backloop, turn, k1, M1 tbl, purl to end.
    Continue increasing 28 more stitches at the end and the beginning of the opposite side to the
    short rows for the armhole. Now there should be 110 stitches on the needle and the armhole
    is finished.
    Work 16 rows in plain stockinette: Shoulder.
    Bind off 15 stitches. Continue knitting in plain stockinette and decrease 10 more stitches at
    the beginning of every row for the neckline by knitting the first stitches together (= 85 stitches
    remaining).

Yes, this sounds like the right front (the right front as you would wear the top). You knit to the end of the row, increase 1 stitch through the back loop, turn, increase again for the armhole and then purl to the hem. The bind off is at the beginning of the purl row (at the neck edge)

Oh boy…another question! (oh and you just knit this for me?? Lol) When she says:

Continue knitting in plain stockinette and decrease 10 more stitches at the beginning of every row for the neckline by knitting the first stitches together (= 85 stitches remaining).

Do you take that to mean decrease only every purl row? (so every 2nd row, not at the end of the knit rows also)?

Thanks so much for all of your help and PATIENCE!! J

Because it says “by knitting the first sts together”, it sounds like the decrease is every other row (only dec at the beginning of the row).
You could measure the row gauge to confirm this.
Look at the piece you’ve knit so far and figure out how many rows you’re getting per inch. Then figure out how many inches you would add if you decrease over 20 rows vs decreasing over 10 rows. See if that helps.