Pattern help. Newbie here

Hey all,

I’m new here and new to knitting. I have just mastered cabling so I thought I would get this jumper and set myself a challenge. I have started the front piece but I’m completely stuck.

I’ve done the ribbing for the first ten rows and the first row on the cable pattern but this is where I am stuck.

Row 2 of the cable pattern just says ‘knit the K’s and purl the P’s’. Do I just match the stiches that are on the needles which effectively duplicates the first row and repeat this for every row. The first row includes a cable stich (C4F) do I cable again on row 2 or do I just purl the stiches that would have been the knit cable pattern on the other side? Hope that makes sense.

I’m so confused. If anyone can help decipher this for me that would be great.

Welcome to KH and to knitting!
Sounds like a wonderful cable pattern with lots of cable practice.
Row 2 applies only to every even row. For this sweater the even rows are the wrong side (WS) rows, the rows on the private rather than public side of the knitting. So you’ll only work the sts as they present themselves on the even rows, i.e., knit the Vs and purl the bumps.
On the odd number rows, follow the pattern given in the box. When you finish row 24, the pattern probably repeats.
What patter are you making> Can you give us a pattern name?

Hi Salmonmac,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

I understood that the even rows would be on the inside of the jumper but didn’t know if I had to re do the cable stiches or whether I just knit the Vs and purl the bumps like you said. I don’t know if I am over thinking this or not.

Its a jumper pattern I got from a Kit from Aldi. The rest of the front of the pattern after this section confuses me but one step at a time haha

Follow the cable directions for the outside rows, the odd rows. Only follow row 2 for the alternative rows or every other row. That’ll be the even rows.