Pattern help much appreciated!

patterns

Hello all!

I am new here and have been only knitting since last Christmas when I received needles as a gift…from my boyfriend, who now regrets it because I CANT PUT THEM DOWN :slight_smile:

I am working on a shawl for his mom, who is an amazing knitter and to whom I usually go to for help. Since this is a gift, I need to find help elsewhere, which brings me here.

This is my first time working off a chart. I have successfully gotten through the first part but am completely confused at the last sentence to part a. Not sure what to put here so I will try to include it all.

Work as est until chart A is complete. On the last row, inc 1 st each side of row, by p1, k1, into first yo of chart A at the beg of row and the last yo of chart A at the end of row – 53 sts.

I will try

to add pictures here, but if anyone could explain this sentence to me I would be incredibly grateful!

Thank you!

Welcome to the forum!
Is it the p1, k1 into the yarn over that’s the problem or something else? Here’s a video for a k1, p1 into a yarn over which is similar:

Thank you so much for the reply and video. I think my biggest issue is understanding how that long sentence breaks down. It seems like I need to add one stitch to each side of my last row so that my total stitches comes out to 53.

I don’t understand how this relates to the end of the sentence. That last row (row 34) doesn’t have any yarn overs. What am I missing?

Again, I really appreciate the help!!

I think I figured it out, thank you so much for your help :smile: