Pattern Help - I Cant Get This To Make Sense!

Hello! I’m working on my first sweater (sweater dress, actually) and the first semi complicated thing I’ve encountered has got me completely stumped. The instructions in the pattern are as follows…

Work 13 rows increasing 1 st at each end of the next
row and every following 4th row. 78[86:86:94:94] sts.

Does this mean, knit 13 rows and add TWO stitches per row, one at each end? Or ONE stitch per row? Then, after 13 rows, continue this increase only on every fourth row. I think this part seems mostly straightforward, until I get to the stitch counts…

I have cast on 78 stitches and it looks like I am to end up with 86. However, it’s not mathematically possible to work 13 rows, add even ONE stitch per row, and still only end up adding 8 stitches total. Right?!?

Help!

Welcome to KH!
These directions are often confusing. Yes, increase at [I]each[/I] end so that for every increase row, there will be 2 additional sts. If you call the next row, row 1 you should increase on rows 1, 5, 9, 13(that’s every 4th row). That’ll increase 8sts and take you to 86sts.

Oh my goodness! What as knitting genius/saint you are! When you explain it like that it makes perfect sense. As this is my first sweater, I’ll probably be back again quite soon :stuck_out_tongue: Thank you for your help, quick response, and warm welcome to the community!

: )
L