Pattern Help-finishing my hat

I used to knit but stopped for many years and have started again. I am trying to complete a rolled brim hat on circular needles, but I am confused by the pattern. I started with 96 stitches. The top decreases says:
Round 1:*knit 6, knit 2 together:repeat from * around.
Round 2:*knit 5, knit 2 together:repeat from * around.
Round 3:*knit 4, knit 2 together:repeat from * around.

Break yarn, leaving 12 in. tail. Using tapestry needle, draw yarn through remaining sts and pull together firmly.

When I made hats in the past, I decreased stitches until I had 6-8 stitches left. After doing 3 rounds of decreases, I still have 60 stitches left. Is it okay to stop decreases now like the pattern says?

Thank you for your help!

Welcome to the forum!
The decreases come fairly rapidly for this hat and then the top is drawn together at once to give it the shape that the designer wanted. Check to make sure there are no directions to “continue decreases as set” or something like that.

If you want a more rounded top to the hat, just continue the decreases for more rounds and see if you like the look. You can always change patterns to suit your own wishes and if you decide that you’d prefer something else, you can always rip it out.