Pattern Help ! Cant Understand Stitch Totals

Please help me with a pattern. I am intermediate knitter but dont normally work off patterns so dont understand them completely. With the following pattern I dont understand how I go from 130 stiches to 110. I am sure I am just being dim !

[130 sts starting] K4, k2tog (k4, k2tog) 9 times, k10, k2tog, (k4, k2tog) 9 times, k5 [110 sts]

I have tried the math and I cant figure it out. My math is (10x9) + (16x9) + 5 = 239 stiches?

Thank you for my help

Welcome to KH!
What is the name of your pattern and the designer?
When I count up the sts required to start the row, I get 131.
4 + 2 + (6x9) + 10 + 2 + (6x9) + 5 = 131
There are 20 decreases across the row 1 + 9 + 1 + 9 = 20 so you would end the row with 111sts.
That’s consistent with a row count after completing the row of
4 + 1 + 45 + 10 + 1 + 45 + 5 = 111sts

The (k4, k2tog) takes 6sts to work and leaves you with 5sts each time you repeat. Only repeat the sts inside the parenthses.

1 Like

The math seems fine to me. K2tog x9 twice = 18, plus K2tog twice, totals a decrease of 20 stitches.
This takes you from 130 to 110 stitches.

2 Likes

Thank you both for your replies ! It makes perfect sense to me now. I was just being dim !. I was repeating the sts both inside and outside of the parenthses causing the such high sts count in my math.

Feel so silly, just got in a rabbit hole of overthinking it and not reading it properly!

1 Like

As long as you’ve got it now, you’ll be on your way. Enjoy the knitting!

:+1:it happens to all of us :older_woman:glad you are back on track :raising_hand_woman: