Pattern Help: alternate rows

I’ve knitted the chart up until this point. I don’t understand the foll and alt directions. If I decrease at the end of every other row, won’t it be slanted only on one side?

Pattern: Willow and Lark - Flora Cardigan

Keeping patt correct, dec 1 st at each end of next
and foll 1[1:0:0] alt row, then on foll 23[25:29:31] rows, ending with RS facing for next row. 25[27:29:31] sts.

Welcome to KH!
The directions are to dec at each end. That means that you will be decreasing at the beginning and at the end of the row. That will keep a symmetrical appearance. Which size are you making?
Maybe this pattern?

1 Like

Thanks!! Yes that’s the pattern! I’m making the smallest size. It’s my first time making clothing so I’m just unsure of some of the new terms in the pattern.

Just so I know for next time, how did you know to read it like that? I was stuck because it says decrease at the end of the row.

Also would you cast off one or k2tog?

It’s that little word “each” that is critical.
“Keeping patt correct, dec 1 st at each end of next
and foll 1 alt row, then on foll 23 rows, ending with RS facing for next row. 25sts”
That tells you to dec at the beginning and at the end of the row. Also, as you correctly noticed, decreasing at one end makes a slant on only one side and that doesn’t make sense with the photos of the sweater.

I like the ssk at the beginning of the row and a k2tog at the end of the row. That gives you decreases that slant /-----, You could equally well reverse these if you prefer. You can also place the decreases one stitch in from the ends if you’ll be seaming the edges.

1 Like

Thank you so much! That makes complete sense!!

It’s at “each end” of next row. I wasn’t reading it that way. (Shaking my head!!!)

1 Like