Pattern has me flummoxed

I’m doing this pattern: http://people.delphiforums.com/knit_chat/knitchat/patterns/feltedslipper.htm and i’m at the cuff. These are the instructions for the cuff. I don’t understand the part in red. Has anyone made this or something like it and can give me some insight, please?

Cuff: pick up 10(12, 13) stitches along side, than 13(15, 18) on top, 10 (12, 13) down the other side.

Row 1: Purl around

Row 2-9: Knit

[color=red]With another needle pick up 40 (46,51) stitches around first purl row

Place needles together and knit 1 stitch off each needle as you go around the cuff binding off at the same time.[/color]

Check out Amy’s video on THREE NEEDLE BIND-OFF. Its the last one on the page.

I guess part of my problem is that in doing the cuff I have it on three DPNs now. For a total of 44 stitches. It’s telling me to pick up 51 around the purl row – so i’ll have 7 stitches left over.

I was just looking at the pattern, and I found your extra 7 stitches:

Row 39: knitting every row decrease one stitch each side of row until you have 7 stitches leave on needle to start cuff.

Be sure that back of slipper is facing you. If not knit another row.

Change color if you want cuff to be a different color

Cuff: pick up 10(12, 13) stitches along side, than 13(15, 18) on top, 10 (12, 13) down the other side.

So you’ve got 7 stitches on the needle from row 39, then you pick up 13, 18, 13 on the cuff row — which gives you a total of 51.
Then you purl one row, and knit 9 more, then pick up the 51 stitches on the purl row and bind them together using that 3 needle bind off that Kelly mentioned.

Hope that helps!!

I did make these. I think what you’re confused about is the picking up the additional 50-some stitches.

I took another circular needle (can be small) and picked up that row. It’s just so you can do the kitchener stitch and bind the edge down to it.

Oh! :doh: I was counting the 7 stitches on the needle as “picked up already” stitches!

Thank you all for all the help and ideas. I’ll be using each idea to make these slippers.