Pattern explanation please

Hi
Knitting expalnation needed please. a bit on the pattern for sleeves on a baby jumper i am doing says

‘working in st st throughout inc 1 st at each end of 3rd and every foll alt 4th row…’

what does it mean by ‘every foll alt 4th row’ ? surely alternate 4th row is every 8th row…?? :??
i dont understand what it means me to do, can anyone translate please?
thanks

Hmmm, yes that sounds right - every alternate 4th row would be every 8th row. It may be that other sizes have other increase rates that are different. Which pattern is it?

ok, so long as it does mean every 8th row. Yes, the actuall pattern says …every alt[alt4th, 4th, 6th] row, so as you say its for different sizes.
the pattern is BHKC 27. i’m using the pattern for a jumper but have actually not done thier pattern this time, but put a picture of a Panda on the front instead.

Oh no, that’s different - there may be commas which didn’t come through so it should read “every alt [alt, 4th, 4th, 6th] row,”. The first alt outside the brackets is for the smallest size and the one inside is for the next size - on those sizes the incs are every other row. For your size you do them every 4th row.

ahhh!!! I get it, thank you very much. Yes it makes so much more sense now you put it like that. :slight_smile: thank you very much lol

I find knitting patterns terribly ambiguous, to be honest.

i agree, this one isnt too bad, but goes form detailed explanation as to what i means by 1 x 1 rib, to missing out commas and thus changeing the whole meaning…