Pattern confusion

I’m traveling across country tomorrow, so I want to make sure I understand this pattern before I get on the plane. :slight_smile:

Here’s the pattern:

Midsection A (includes the spout gusset and the split for the handle )
[B]Row 9[/B] (RS): k2, p1, k1, m1, k1 twelve times, m1p, pm, **, m1p, pm, ** twelve more times, p1, k first stitch from next needle, turn.
[B]Row 10[/B] (WS): sl1, k1, p3, k1 to marker, sl marker, k1, p3, k1, slip marker, k1, p3 to last 2sts, k1, p1, turn.
[B] Row 11[/B] (RS): sl1, k in patt to stitch marker, sl marker, m1, k in patt to marker, m1, sl marker, work in patt to end.
[B]Row 12[/B] (WS): sl1, work in patt to end.
[B]Rows 13-17[/B]: Alternate rows 11 and 12 for the next five rows. You will end on a RS row.

What I’m confused on is… if you stop working in the round, and start turning instead, won’t that screw up how it looks? I don’t understand how you can go from knitting round and then knitting flat while… already in the round.

Also it says later, to work “in pattern” as you see above. Which is the pattern? p3, k1 and then k3, p1?

Any help would be great!

(This pattern is beyond confusing. I’ve included it to share the pain.)

Pattern link – incoming PDF!

You are splitting your work from a single tube into a large flat piece which will go around the handle and has a small set of increases to accomodate the spout. You will indeed be working flat for a while (until row 41 where you join into the round again after doing th shaping for the spout and around the handle). This is a case of trusting the pattern i’m afraid.

When it says to turn, turn your work and from there you will be knitting back and forth which is why the ribbing is K3, p1 on one row and P3,K1 on the next row. Infact that is the ‘pattern’ you are instructed to knit in. Alternaing rows of K3, P1 and P3,K1 is the pattern which willl give you the ribbing.

if you stop working in the round, and start turning instead, won’t that screw up how it looks? I don’t understand how you can go from knitting round and then knitting flat while… already in the round.

You need to knit flat, or there won’t be any opening for your handle to come out. You rejoin into the round when you get to the top ribbing. It’s the same thing, just turn your work at the end of the row. It might be a little awkward the first few rows.

Also it says later, to work “in pattern” as you see above. Which is the pattern? p3, k1 and then k3, p1?

If you read the line after Rows 13-17, you’ll see it says “(Continue to increase the gusset in established k3p1 pattern).”

So, this is how it works:

Go 'round and around for 8 rounds.

Then stop. You have this work on 4 DPNs. When you reach the end of the round, instead of connecting it, you flip it around and then go back the other way. You never connect it with the first stitch again.

… right?

thats right you just turn it and go back the other way, then when you get to the end, turn and go back, just like when you knit flat.

later on it gives you instruction on how to join this back into a tube.