Pattern Confusion

I am knitting the Textured Treasure Afghan by Lionbrand. The pattern is as follows:

AFGHAN
With 2 strands of yarn held together, cast on 40 stitches.
Knit 4 rows.
Row 1: Knit 4, place marker, purl 8, place marker, * [color=red](knit 1, purl 1, knit 1) all into next st, purl 3 together;[/color] repeat from * to last 12 sts, place marker, purl 8, place marker, knit 4.
Rows 2 and 4: Knit 12, purl 16, knit 12.
Row 3: Knit 4, purl 8, [color=red]* purl 3 together, (knit 1, purl 1, knit 1) all into next st;[/color] repeat from * to last 12 sts, purl 8, knit 4.
Repeat Rows 1-4 for total of 68 rows, end with a Row 4. Knit 3 rows. Bind off. Weave in ends.

I have cast on and knitted the first four rows. After that I get lost. I understand the plain knit and purl but I’m not sure what the instructions I highlighted in red mean. What does the “all into next stitch” mean in row 1? And in Row 3, what does purl 3 together mean and then the same “all into next stitch” notation? This is supposed to be an easy pattern and I am a beginning knitter. If explained I am sure I can do the stitches, I just don’t understand. Thanks in advance.

Layla

What you’re doing here is a double decrease and a double increase.

The k,p,k into one stitch is the increase. Knit in to the stitch as normal, but don’t slide it off. Bring your yarn forward between the two needles and purl into the SAME stitch, again don’t slide it off. Bring the yarn back between the needles, knit into the same stitch again, and then slide if off. You’ll have 3 stitches where you had one.

For the purl 3 together, the decrease, just put your needle through 3 stitches at once, wrap the yarn and pull the yarn through all three and slide them off the needle.

Thank you so much. I think I have it. I guess I won’t know until I do a couple rows but I have done one and the instructions make perfect sense now. :cheering:

Layla