Pattern confusing me :?

Okay, trying to start baby blanket and the directions have me confused:?? It says to (K1, P1 twice) in next st. What in blue blazes does that mean? And am I really going to purl twice into one stitch and if so, how on earth am I going to do that?

So confused, please help.

It’s doable. Knit as normal, but don’t slide it off. Bring the yarn between the needles to the front, and purl the same stitch. Again, don’t slide it off. Bring the yarn back, knit into the same stitch, bring the yarn forward, purl into the same stitch and THEN slide it off. You’ll have 4 stitches where you had one.

Okay, so I am not just purling twice, I am also knitting twice.

If that is the case, that sounds pretty simple. Thanks Ingrid. I appreciate the information. Wish they would have made it a little clearer in the pattern.

Looking at the way it’s written, the ‘twice’ should have been outside the (). :shrug:

I agree, Ingrid, I think it means to k1,p1 in one stitch over the next 2 stitches. If that made it any clearer… :zombie:

But then wouldn’t it say to k1,p1 twice in next two stitches? :??

Is it supposed to be a bobble? It IS a baby blanket, you know how they like to throw those on there! Then you [I]would[/I] (K1, P1 twice) in the next stitch, but for sure (K1,P1,K1,P1) would have been more clear.

Joanne - Is there something after that direction, like turn and knit/purl those stitches or do you continue on to the end of the row?

That’s what Ingrid meant - " Looking at the way it’s written, the ‘twice’ should have been outside the ()"

(k1,p1 in the next st) twice is the same as k1,p1 in each of the next two sts.

:doh:I meant to say (k1,p1) twice into next stitch. That’s what I described. And it does sound like it could be a bobble.

[INDENT]

[/INDENT]

Sue - I’m getting twiced out. I agree that (k1,p1 in the next st) twice is the same as k1,p1 in each of the next two sts, but I guess I was going back to the original Ingrid post of it’s 4 stitches out of 1 and not your post of k1,p1 in one stitch over the next 2 stitches.

And I misunderstood Ingrid. Sorry about that. Maybe it is a bobble; I don’t like the look of them so haven’t read any patterns to know how they’re worded.

Me, neither - too much work and I am way too lazy for all that, although I think you can make them easier if you can knit backwards.

But with so many patterns out there, I just look for others that are more appealing.

I am going to put all the directions for Row 5 and Row 6

Row 5 K5, *(K1,P1 twice)in next st, K5, rep from * to end.
Row 6 P5, *sl 3, K1, pass 3 slipped sts separately over last st, P5, rep from * to end.

To be completely honest, from looking at the part of the picture for the completed blanket, I cannot tell what part I am working on.

I have made the swatch twice and neither time did I come close to the tension square. I have tried the Continental way to knit. I am a very tight English knitter, and have found Continental to be loose. Is this normal? I do not want to make another swatch, so any suggestions?

Okay it does sound like a bobble or something. The 4 sts that you make in the 1 st will be the slip 3, k1, pass sl sts over on the next row. It makes a shell or something. If you’re too tight for the gauge, then use a larger needle, one or 2 sizes bigger. The needle size given in patterns is just a start, maybe the pattern maker is a looser knitter than you are.