Pattern clarification

So here i am…swatching…gasp! (i know…and it is for an afghan?! why am i doing this…sheesh) and i think the pattern is wrong. Basically i want to see what size needles i want to use and if i want to do this with double stranded merino style or not.

aaaaaaanyway i am doing the feather and fan pattern on the knit picks 123 lace pattern. i am mostly using it for the stitch pattern and then going from there and i just grabbed the dimensions they are using for the scarf.

here is the pattern row. it says to cast on 72 stitches.

Row 3: K1, [K 2 tog] 3 times, [YO, K1] 6 times, [K 2 tog 3 times] repeat to last st, k1.

Now if i do that i come up with 72 stitches total but from everything i can figure in this pattern i need 72 for the pattern and should really be casting on 74 stitches. Have I completely lost my mind?

:??

[size=2]edited to move the * to where it actually is in the pattern. (sorry 'bout that…it was late! :wink: )[/size]

Isn’t the first * supposed to be after the K1? Most F&F patterns are multiples of 18 stitches, which 72 is, but you’d want a selvedge st on each end - the two K1s. I’m guessing 72 is for the stitch pattern, 74 is what you want to cast on to include the selvedges.

sue