Pattern/BO question

Hi–I’m a new knitter and just finishing my first blanket. It has a seed stitch border and the pattern just calls for me to bind off. Do I need to bind off in pattern–knit the knits/purl the purls BO? or is it OK to just bind it off knitstitch? This may be a really elementary question, but I really appreciate the help. Thanks!

If it doesn’t tell you specifically to do so, then it’s not really necessary but in my opinion there’s no harm is binding off in pattern. I’d think that you probably didn’t cast on in pattern (I don’t know if that’s even possible!) so casting off in all knit stitches would not be the end of the world either.

By the way, welcome to knitting and to this site!! :waving: :muah:

Thank you so much! I just found this site and I am loving it. It has proven to be a great resource.

I usually BO in pattern, especially if it’s an alternating k/p one. The BO isn’t so tight that way. Do a few stitches in K1, p1, then a few in k only and see which you like better.

sue

You can do that? I am still in the strictly adhere to the rules phase of my knitting. I didn’t know that you could change the way you BO. It looks the same either way? Already I am learning all new stuff. Thank you!

Rules? There’s rules in knitting?! I didn’t know that…

Ahem. They’ll produce a different look. In ribbing (k1,p1 or k2p2) the bound off stitches lay on the `edge’ of your work, whereas with purl or knit BO, the stitches will be more to one side or another.

sue

Personally, I don’t find that binding off in pattern looks all that different than binding off in all knit or all purl. And in the grand scheme of a whole blanket, the way that it is bound off doesn’t really matter so much, as long as it is done neatly and consistently.

I read a suggestion somewhere to do all bindoff in a k1, p1 ribbing; the ribbing part won’t show, but the BO stitches sit on the very end/edge of the work, instead of off to either the front or back side. And some patterns will have you BO in purl on the front side so the bindoff shows up better.

sue

Thank you both sooo much! I finished the blanket in a k/p bind off pattern and it turned out pretty good, I think. I really appreciate all the help, support, and advice. :muah: :notworthy: