Pattern and Yarn?

[SIZE=5][COLOR=sienna]Why do i have such a hard time choosing a pattern and then figuring our if the yarn i have will work. i have all this yarn that i could use, but then when it comes to figuring out if i have enough or if that yarn would work, i get unset and confused. i have so much yarn that i could use. the guage drives me nuts. i don’t understand how it works. Even if i get the guage right that don’t mean the pattern will look good. i stayed up late last night trying to figure just a simple knitting pattern and just quick.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=5][COLOR=#a0522d]thanks,[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=5][COLOR=#a0522d]Daisy:tap:[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=5][COLOR=#a0522d]daisymae7@comcast.net[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Hi, maybe you are doubting yourself too much. Try just setting yourself up with a pattern you like, and the yarn it calls for and get right down to it. You can compare your yarn to the suggested yarn at www.yarndex.com.
For guage, make yourself a swatch. Cast on 25 sts and knit about 30 rows and then just measure how many sts you have in 4 inches, and how many rows you have to 4 inches.
Maybe if you can show us the pattern, and the yarn it calls for and what the suggested guage is, we can help you figure it out, so then you can get on your way to knitting.

I have the same problem.:hair:Trying to figure out what yarn will look the best with a pattern:nails: I have all this yarn and tons of patterns and can’t decide which yarn will look good with what pattern:tap:. So I just pick a yarn, figure out how much I have ,the weight and then start looking through patterns. It takes awhile but in the end I find a pattern to match the yarn.:teehee:

Over time and experimentation you’ll learn the attributes of certain yarns and which work better with certain patterns. In Rightetti’s (‘Sweater Design in Plain English’) she goes to great lengths pointing out that one needs to find the right marriage of fiber and pattern. A cotton that works great for dishcloths would most likely be disastrous in a cardigan. A yarn that works up beautifully for a man’s pullover might not work for a baby afghan.

I made one long cardi three times, with the same yarn, changing the size, altering the pattern…and disliked each version. Eventually I frogged it yet again, designed my own pattern and the yarn worked up beautifully to a style that ‘fit.’ Lots of trial and error…

cam

You are not alone!!! I am afraid this may just come with experience, which I have in short supply.

Here’s my latest: I planned to make my mother a very warm scarf to wear when she goes motorcycle riding with my father this fall. She has a little arthritis in her neck and can’t stand to get cold there. So I picked out a red chunky wool/acrylic yarn and happily began knitting it up in the “Besotted” scarf pattern. This is a cabled pattern. Halfway through I realized that this scarf is going to weigh two tons. :sad:

I wanted to help her arthritis, not make it worse.

This is why a lot of times I knit popular patterns. Then I can find KAL’s where other people substituted yarns with successs. Slowly I am learning but I don’t feel very confident at all yet.

I completely feel your pain! While I don’t have a “stash” of yarn with the exception of one skein of some boucle traditions in blues from Yarn Bee that I got when I first started knitting cause I thought my mom would like the feel and color…I’ve YET to determine what to knit with it. A scarf I’m pretty set on but wanted something more than just a plain jane stitch… but what? How to determine what, if anything, will work/look good with a specific yarn? It IS frustrating for a new knitter. I get so excited about yarns and patterns but then not sure how to match them up, as you noted.

Hopefully, with experience, reading others experiences and the help of everyone here on the knittinghelp forum, you will have an easier time of matching yarns to patterns.

Best wishes in your knitting endeavors! And know that you are not alone in your frustrations.

Boucle yarns work better in just stockinette; the `bumps’ in the yarn give it enough texture.