Patter help please

I.m doing a pattern that says it was done for an eight month old and I want to make it for a preemie or small newborn the pattern says she cast on eighty on size 4 needle but it could be changed because she gave the stitch count as a multiple of 11 plus additional stitches to make the total devisible by 4 I’m new to knitting and have no idea what to do to change this to a small size except to go down in needle size or am I right if I cast on 44 is this what she mean as a mutiple of 11 that is divisible by 4. Can someone tell me if I am right.

What is it you’re trying to make? If it’s a hat, then I think you’re on the right track.

Yes it is a hat I’m sorry I forgeot to say that it is a barbara Breiter pattern for the Easter egg hat.

Hereare a bunch of preemie patterns. You can compare some of the hat measurements to the one you want to make.

Not 44, because you said:

multiple of 11 plus additional stitches to make the total devisible by 4

Which means multiple of 11 plus whatever stiches and the total should be divided by 4. So your cast on would depend on how many stitches beyond the 11 stitch pattern repeat you need. It could be 48 or 52, or 36.

sue