Palapa Shell Pattern

I’m attempting this pattern I purchased on Ravelry and have run into a problem with the cables that are supposed to run diagonal to the centre panel. Instructions read: “The right and left cables move 1 stitch toward the side edge every RS row, adding 1 more st between right and left cables and the centre cable panel”. I dont see how this is supposed to happen. The cable pattern is 3 panels of 8 rows each using 1 each RS and WS row instructions:
RS: K1 (selvedge) P 39, work the 3 cable panels, P39, K1 (selvedge)
WS K1 (selvedge) K 38, work left cable panel, P1, work centre cable panel, P1, work right cable panel, K38, K1 (selvedge)
If anything, it looks to me like the shift over is happening on the WS row. I’m just not getting it. How do I figure out how many stitches to knit/pearl at the beginning and end of each row?? Any assistance will be most appreciated.

The movement of the cable pattern may be within the cable panel pattern. Looking at the diagonal cable, there seems to be a decrease on the outer edge and a yarn over toward the center. That’ll move the cables one stitch closer to the edges and decrease the number of sts to knit or purl at the beginning and end of each row.

Very pretty, summery shell.

Hmm…there is an errata noted on the ravelry page. I wonder if it has been corrected in my download. It would almost make sense that there would be a yo on the first panel on the rs of the work, would’nt it? If I correct as noted the first panel row 3 begins with a k2tog.

Zoom in on the photo of the finished shell. You can see the line of decreases to start the first cable and what looks like a yo at the other side of the cable. Then there is the central cable and on the second cable, a yo, cable and left slanting dec (perhaps ssk).

You can give us the instructions for a row or two of one of the cables if you think that might help. Just not a large part of the pattern due to copyrights. The errata concerns a mix up of Left and Right directions rather than details of the cables. The Rav page was updated last on June 19 so if you purchased after that date you should be ok but you can always send a message to the designer.

These are the left/right cable panels. I’m not sure if they are corrected or not. I sent a note to the publisher but haven’t heard back yet. I often struggle trying to figure out a pattern but I think I’m beginning to understand what you are saying. It helps seeing it in a different perspective. When I get to the first two stitches of the 8 in the panel, I knit them together, cable or knit the next 6 and then create an increase with a yo?? That makes sense to me now, I think :thinking:. I was trying to figure out how to do the k2tog before getting to the 8 cable stitches! I will give it another try when I get home from work this evening and will let you know how I make out. Thanks for your quick response and your help!

Left Cable (panel of 8 sts)
Row 1 (RS) K2tog, C6F, yo.
Rows 2, 4, and 6 (WS) P8.
Rows 3, 5, and 7 K2tog, k6, yo.
Row 8 Rep Row 2.
Repeat Rows 1–8 for Left Cable.
Right Cable (panel of 8 sts)
Row 1 (RS) Yo, C6B, ssk.
Rows 2, 4, and 6 (WS) P8.
Rows 3, 5, and 7 Yo, k6, ssk.
Row 8 Rep Row 2.
Repeat Rows 1–8 for Right Cable

I just heard back; the pattern has not been updated.
Bonnie

Yup, you’ve got it. The k2tog or ssk is going to shift the cable right or left. The yarn over will compensate for the decrease and keep the stitch count the same.

Thanks again for your help. I’ve got 3 cables completed but I’m just not loving it.:frowning_face:
I think the yarn may be too soft. I’m using Sublime Cotton Silk DK. I love this yarn but looks limp and kind of shapeless with this pattern. I may try again in something with a bit more body. Going to frog this attempt.

Sometimes this happens, the yarn and the pattern just don’t work and play well together. Tahki Cotton Classic, the pattern yarn, is a lovely yarn with a nice shine and a wide range of colors.