Other "Continental Combined" Knitters?

I was already knitting contintental and was intrigued by some stuff I stumbled across online about it, so I thought I’d play around with it. At first I found it a little confusing, but now I think I really dig it!

A couple points I found interesting:

1 I think it has made me an overall more competent knitter–in the sense that it led me to focus more on the actual stitch construction, seeing how the fabric is built, as opposed to just following certain steps. If that makes sense…

2 I believe part of the reasons why people get confused by it and end up twisting stitches, messing up decreases, etc (as I did before I wrapped my head around it) has less to do with the method itself being inherently convoluted and much more to do with a lot of the common terminology we tend to use, terminology adapted to “western” style knitting–even the name “combined” suggests some sort of franken-knitting mash-up, rather than a legitimate, coherent style of knitting practiced for centuries across Eastern Europe and Western Asia! For instance, things like “knitting thru the back loop,” or “inserting needle knitwise/purlwise” make things needlessy confounding! When combination knitting untwisted stitches, you arent “knitting thru the back,” sometimes and “knitting thru the front” at other times–you are simply changing the angle at which you insert the needle because of the way the stitch is mounted, but making the exact same stitch. Once you learn to “read through” this kind of awkward term in patterns and instructions, and learn how to knit and purl stitches mounted either direction, it should be possible to follow any pattern while knitting combined. In some sense “combination” knitting is actually SIMPLER than “regular” contintental, because the movements used to create knit and purl stitches–like the finished results–are near perfect mirror images of eachother.

3 Most of what i knit is in the round. For instance, I will knit garter st in the round by alternating knit rounds and purl, and st st by doing all k with “western” mounted sts, and when working flat vice versa. Haven’t done much ribbing yet (because i’ve been working a lot in cotton, and cotton ribbing has no elasticity) but contrary to what I’ve heard and read elsewhere even in books there should be no obstacle to it in the round once you learn to make purls coming “from behind” (which is actually identical to the “regular” combination purl, it just SEEMs different because the eastern mounted stitch looks different and requires changing the angle of insertion a tiny bit–in fact its just the mirror image of inserting for a “western” k stitch).

I’d love to hear from other “combos” out there about your experiences with this style of knitting, any history or stories, or if you have any cool tricks or tips for those who haven’t been doing it as long! I did find some discussions about it on the forum already but they all were pretty old…