OT - Yankee or Dixie?

It did not have any truly Yankee words. I should know. I was born in Boston, live in Boston, and use some “Boston-only” words and pronounciations. There were basically no questions referring to New England accents.

The one thing it did have absolutely correct is the use of the word “soda.”

73% DIXIE :happydance:
My Mama would be proud since I was born in Georgia and raised in SC… I’ve spent the last 30 years transplanted to NYS but always maintained I was a GRIT (GIRL RAISED IN THE SOUTH)!

I got 53% Dixie, which is laughable, and also probably due to the fact that in some questions what I would have chosen wasn’t an option. And about those bugs - believe this or not, I grew up calling them “molar bugs.” I have NO idea why and have never heard that anywhere else. This was in Laurel, MD, and our best friends had parents from Wilkes-Barre, PA, if that means anything about “molar bugs.”

Stine, “on line” is most definitely a NY area thing. My parents say it, and so do I. But we stand on line and we also get on line, too. I’ve heard a tale, possibly untrue, that it has to do with immigrants being told to stand on a line drawn on the floor at Ellis Island - but if that’s as true as the “the name was changed at Ellis Island” myths, then it isn’t very true…

45% (Yankee). Barely into the Yankee category.
I got a lot of answers that were common in the Great Lakes area, which I live in SE lower MI.

I’m undoubtedly Dixie. 68%. No surprise there. I’m a southern girl to the core, and I still call my dad “Daddy”, Y’all. :heart:

I still call my Daddy “Daddy,” too, and I’m almost 100% Northerner (“almost” because I actually was born south of the Mason-Dixon Line…)! :hug:

ETA: But I don’t say “Mother and Daddy,” like many Southerners I’ve heard…

My kids, I believe, will always call dh and me “daddy” and “mama.” This is very surprising given that, while they were young, we spent eight years down in south FL where there are, primarily, people from the north – especially New York and New Jersey. They NEVER heard other people call their parents by the “southern” names.

i got 58% Dixie, just barely in the dixie category. There were a lot of things I say either of. And some didn’t have an “other” category or “both”

I’m 38% yankee??? Guess it happens if I’m along the 49th parallel

A bubbler hahaha :rofl:

My kids, I believe, will always call dh and me “daddy” and “mama.” This is very surprising given that, while they were young, we spent eight years down in south FL where there are, primarily, people from the north – especially New York and New Jersey. They NEVER heard other people call their parents by the “southern” names.[/quote]

I use “Mom/Ma” and “Dad.” Mommy if I want something. :teehee:

Mom said “Mommy/Ma,” and says Dad. I don’t think she says Daddy that often, if ever.

And I’m a Canuck!!! :roflhard: samm

50% (Yankee). Barely into the Yankee category.

I’ve lived in Oakland, CA my whole life. :shrug: In fact I’m a 6th generation Californian on one side, and on the other grandparents are from a different country, and dad is born and raised in CA.

Also, with the Aunt thing, I pronounce it “Untee” and a couple of the others I had to pick the best but not necessarly the ‘right’ answer.

Some of those I thought were kinda off.

I usually address a group of people “you guys” but sometimes y’all. Gym shoes aren’t “Tennis shoes” but “tenni’s” which wasn’t there, so I picked tennis shoes.

I alternate between water fountian and drinking fountain.

It was definately interesting though

61% Dixie. I do live in Southeast Missouri, so I guess I kind of live on the line between north and south.

Stacy

“73% (Dixie). That is a pretty strong Southern score!”

I’ve never even been to America! :?? Guess if I ever do make it over I should head South :teehee:

Come on over. We’ll fix you some cheese grits, chitlins, and sweet tea.

:roflhard:

83% (Dixie). Did you have any Confederate ancestors?

:teehee: WV gal here…

:roflhard:[/quote]

ew… don’t fall for the hospitality if she is goin’ to feed you chitlins! :ick: at the very least ask what that is made from first! :shock:

:roflhard:[/quote]

ew… don’t fall for the hospitality if she is goin’ to feed you chitlins! :ick: at the very least ask what that is made from first! :shock:[/quote]

:psst:

Shhhhh…don’t tell, don’t tell…

BTW, the town I grew up in had an annual Chitlin Jamboree with a parade, grease pole climbing (no, I didn’t do this), and a chitlin-eating contest (and I didn’t do this either). You could smell the chitlins cooking all over town. :eyebrow:

:roflhard:

Not me…my mom was born in Canada, and my dad was born in France. I’m a naturalized citizen, and I consider myself a southerner.

OMG 94% dixie (this is too cute. I will have to send this to everyone I know. I had the worst day today and this has just made up for it.