OT - Yankee or Dixie?

Here’s a little something that was fun to do.

I’m 78% Dixie. Surprising given the fact that I’ve spent most of my life in the South.

Eek. I got 48% Yankee. Wonder how that happened, considering I’ve spent my whole life outside of Philly.

lol I have a hard time with this quiz when I take it because it often does depend where I am or who I am talking to when I say thse words.

59% (Dixie). Barely into the Dixie category.

That seems a little suspect to me though since I have only spent a total of 2.5 years in the south… the rest was New England and the midwest… and most people say I “sound” more like the Northeast… (whatever that means)
:shrug:

:?? I only got 47% Yankee, but I have issues with some of its interpretations.

For instance, it is NOT common to pronounce “cot” and “caught” the same way in the NYC area. One is caht. The other is cawwwwt. :teehee:

Also, I’m always said when they don’t have “get on line” versus “get in line,” but I’m pretty sure it’s just a Jersey thing anyway. :teehee:

58% dixie here.

Some of them I had to think about. I talk all the time, I obviously just don’t listen to myself!

Mine was 58% (Dixie). Barely into the Dixie category.

But even the first answer was wrong … Aunt is pronounced ‘R-nt / Ah-nt’ :teehee:

I guessed some of the answers … what’s a potato bug??? :shrug: we don’t have those over here - I would have said ‘woodlouse’ :teehee:

40% Yankee here - that Midwester/New York/New England accent has me all over the place!!!

I’m 50% Yankee…I lived my whole life in Annapolis, Maryland until I came to college. :?? I guess half Yankee would be about right, then? :teehee:

I’m 48% Yankee. I found it really interesting that a lot of my answers were considered “great lakes area” since I did not grow up there, but my grandmother did.

61% (Dixie). A definitive Southern score!

I was born and raised in northern CA and in Dec. 06 we moved to New Jersey. I don’t think I have ever been to the South! :shrug:

I got 54% (Dixie). Barely into the Dixie category.

I’ve lived in Kansas City almost all my life (except for a short not-quite-6-month junket in Iowa).

I guess hovering around the middle mark fits. :shrug:

50% Yankee … I grew up in the military so I lived all over the place.

My New York friend always says “on line” and I’m always like, that’s on the internet, you stand “in line”. :slight_smile: i’m from cali

60% Dixie :thinking: and I’ve never been out of the South! (well, at least for no more than 2 weeks at a time! :teehee: )

Sounds like a true southern girl! :teehee:

[color=blue]45% (Yankee). Barely into the Yankee category.

I did not have a clue about the last question:
20. What’s that bug that rolls into a ball when you touch it? (NOTE: This is not a doodle bug (ant lion), which is the larvae of Myrmeleontidae spp.)
Roly poly
Pillbug
Potato bug
Sow bug

:??

anne[/color]

My New York friend always says “on line” and I’m always like, that’s on the internet, you stand “in line”. :slight_smile: i’m from cali[/quote]

You stand on line. You get “in line” if someone tells you to shape up. Also, if there is no line, and you are just forming it, you can say “Get in line.” But usually we’d say “Line up.” :teehee:

66% Dixie. Born and raised in California, and except for a couple years of living in Las Vegas (which is just like California) I haven’t lived anywhere else. I was raised by my okie grandma though, and my parents are definite okies too :wink: So obviously some of their charm has rubbed off on me lol.

I got a lot of my answers as midwest, which is surprising. I don’t have any family from that area, and haven’t spent much time there.

1. What’s that bug that rolls into a ball when you touch it? (NOTE: This is not a doodle bug (ant lion), which is the larvae of Myrmeleontidae spp.)
    Roly poly
    Pillbug
    Potato bug
    Sow bug

It’s a little brown bug with an indistinguishable head or tail. They’re found in dirt, and are common in gardens. You know you’ve picked on up when it curls into itself as a self-defense so that it’s hard shell is left showing. It’s similar to an armadillo in that way.

I loved playing with them as a kid. Pick them up so it’d turn into a ball, then flick it like a marble. Now I hate touching the things lol. My kids love them now :slight_smile: