OT: Ok all you committed weight loss people!

There are LOTS of online programs and programs you can download for free where you can log your food. Most of them will calculate for you, how many calories, or fat or carbs you’ve had. I am doing the medifast diet, so I use their free online tool, mymedifast.com. But there are a ton of programs. I find it useful because most of them have all the food in them, with all the nutritional info, including fast food and restaurant menus. I find that cheating is not what does me in, but underestimating how much I am actually eating. Here is how I do it. I log in each morning and I put in what I am going to eat for the day. Then either that night, or the next morning, I make any adjustments (add something that I hadn’t accounted for, or take off something I didn’t eat. Then each week I log my weight. When I first started doing it, I was SHOCKED at how many more calories I was actually eathing than I thought.

In addition to mymedifast, I also really like www.calorieking.com

I am going to lose some weight again, too. I lost a lot a few years ago through WW, but 10 or so have creeped back on. :doh:

I don’t want to spend the money on WW right now as money is tight, but I have used Fitday before and it was really helpful! I found that I wasn’t getting enough magnesium and a few other nutrients that I am able to correct with supplements. I’m thinking of getting the computer software so I can create meals that are easy to just add since we tend to have similar things sometimes…like salmon/baked potato/green beans.

Right now sugar is my nemesis. I get addicted to it and crave it when I know I should be eating (or not eating) something else. Once I break the cycle it will be fine, but till then… :wall:

Another great site is SparkPeople
It’s free, similar deal to the others. Great way track your food, exercise habits, journal, etc all in one place. It’ll give you meal suggestions and recipes or you can input your own. It’ll remind you when to exercise and also encourage you to start healthy habits and other things to check off. You can also make your own personal “SparkPage.” And the whole “earning points/trophies” thing is a cute little motivator. They’ve got forums as well but I never really liked them…not well organized.

I am the queen of weight loss site stuff so here are some that will be helpful.

http://www.craftmax.com/calories/ (a fat and calorie counter)

http://www.3fatchicks.com (the absolute top in weight loss forum and info and it is free. I have been a member quite awhile)

http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/Index.html (helps you keep track of all sorts of your weight loss stuff)

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/ (this is a mapquest style pedometer if you are a walker or runner you can track from your house and see the distance you walk, run etc)

You also have Ediets.com, which is great if you don’t know which program you want to use. If you join there is a monthly fee, but you can get a profile for free and it will suggest which program is best for you according to how you eat and what you eat etc.

Yahoo, MSN, etc all have buddy type programs you can be a part of as does WW. I still think 3fatchicks is superior to them all because there are forum threads for a bazillion types of groups from weight loss surgery to south beachers, wwers to threads according to age, lbs over weight, college groups, women or men only etc. Check it out.

Oh and Carmen, LOOVVEEEE your avatar. He is “our” race car driver. In fact, my husband used to work with his aunt when we still lived in Indiana.

faye

Well, I started a board-look for it to change a lot over the next few days as I add graphics and make it a bit homey.

:slight_smile: Opinions and ideas welcome!!!

http://p068.ezboard.com/bnarrowingknitters

That’s terrific Chel. Thanks for all the work!

i’m in. i’m not doing it for weight as much (though it would be nice). i just want to feel good again. i’ve been a little heavy since before i had the baby, and while the breastfeeding sucked all my weight off, i’ve gradually been gaining it back again.
right now my goal is going to be to work out, feel better, and watch my sugar/processed foods intake. i feel SO much better emotionally when my blood sugar is kept at a normal level. the best i felt was when i was on atkins because my blood sugar wasn’t spiking and crashing all the time. i don’t want to go back on that, though, because it’s too restrictive, and you have to become obsessed with it to have it work. i can’t really cut calories too much until ds weans, so i’ll just choose calories that are better for me.

tip for those dieting…loose the scale. i threw mine out a few years ago, and i don’t want one back in my home ever again. my day was all dependent on what number popped up that morning. if it was low, i had a good day, if it was higher, i freaked all day. now i go by how i feel and how my clothes fit because honestly, a number won’t tell you how healthy you are. same thing with the BMI. according to both i was “obese” for my height, and i’m nowhere near that. i know “big boned” is a saying they used to use, but i think it’s true. i’ve always weighted heavier then most people would think. and i know my hips will never be in a size 6. the bones are just too wide. but if i could be comfy in some size 10s, i’d be a happy camper!

i joined the gym at work a few weeks ago, but haven’t gone because of the holidays. i brought lots of fruits and nuts and veggies to snack on, and i’m going to drink lots of water!
it’ll happen! hooray!

i’m all about support groups when making changes like this!
let the healthy lifestyles begin! :cheering: :happydance:

I’m with you all. I need to commit myself to lose some weight in 07’. I know there was another thread that I read a bunch of you saying you were going to do the South Beach Diet. I’m just curious about it, if anyone is doing it or has done it before. If you like it, think it works, or is there something better you like to do? I really need to stick to a plan being on a diet so I’m trying to figure out some options. Thanks all! :muah:

Yay, this seems to be right up my alley, knitters and dieters in one forum.

I am hoping to drop 20 - 40 lbs by October. I want to look good on my Wedding day, (oct 6th)

I do maintenance at work, and I most definately get enough excersize at work. I clocked myself at walking around 4 miles a day, and we have stairs that I am running up and down non stop. I have already dropped some inches in my arms and waist from all this work.

My goal is to stop snacking. I am a snack whore, especially if I am bored. My meal routines are great, it’s just between 4pm and 10pm when the snacks come out.

Most of my snacking stems from boredom, or hobbies that allow me to eat at the same time… So my goal is to knit. Knit and knit and knit. When I knit, I can’t snack. I don’t want food on my WIP… and I am a messy eater.

good luck everyone! :heart: :heart: :heart:

:roflhard: :roflhard:
That’s a good way to put it…I’d have to say I am too.

:roflhard: :roflhard:
That’s a good way to put it…I’d have to say I am too.[/quote]

I don’t think it’s necessarily a bad thing to eat between meals. I’m a “grazer” and wouldn’t be happy any other way. If I don’t eat every 3 or 4 hours I get really hungry, irritable and ornery. If I have to go for a long time without food, I usually end up gorging myself to alleviate my hunger, and then I feel bloated from having eaten too much. Not a pleasant feeling. I always try to bring snacks with me wherever I go to keep that from happening.

I was a pretty stable weight until a few years ago when I got married – I went from eating when I felt like it to eating 3 meals a day (plus when I felt like it). I found myself eating past saiety at meals because DH kept giving me the same size portions that he gave himself (he’s 6’2" and I’m under 5’) and I felt like I should “clean my plate.” Funny thing but my pants started getting tighter during that period. These days if he gives me too much, I usually remove the extra food from my plate before starting so when I’m done, I can still brag about having done “a good job” as a member of the “clean plate club.” :teehee: I’m still 4 or 5 pounds more than I was when we got married, but I’m an appropriate weight for my height so it doesn’t bother me too much. I sort of wish I could get back into my old pants, though. My goal is to start exercising regularly again. If my pants start fitting better, that’ll be a bonus.

I’m in. I got on the treadmill for an hour, ate a light breakfast. I needed to come here to remind me that I’m not in this alone :muah:

OK guys, I’m in…the only problem is that I’m scared I won’t be able to do it.

I lost a lot of weight about 4 years ago, but some of it has crept back on. My big problem is that calorie counting alone doesn’t seem to work for me…don’t know why, but I have to work out, and work out HARD. I was doing weights for an hour and Nordictracking for 45 minutes when I lost my weight before. Aerobics, walking, etc. weren’t enough. Here’s my HUGE dilemma…right now I’m fighting plantar fascitis in both feet. I’ve got inserts in my shoes, but basically have been told to stay off my feet as much as possible. Since I work 11 hour days, and a lot of that time is on my feet, when I get home, I need to sit and elevate them.

So, I’ll do my best, but don’t know how good it will be. :verysad:

I am struggling with the same problem. I went from being underweight, to having pain in both feet (PF), no energy and nothing to wear.

I know it’s tough, but have you considered working out BEFORE you go to work? I was going to wait until DH comes home to work out, but by then I’m exhausted. It was rough getting up this morning, but I did and felt great after my work out.

You can do it!!! Please, don’t give up before you begin.

I am struggling with the same problem. I went from being underweight, to having pain in both feet (PF), no energy and nothing to wear.

I know it’s tough, but have you considered working out BEFORE you go to work? I was going to wait until DH comes home to work out, but by then I’m exhausted. It was rough getting up this morning, but I did and felt great after my work out.

You can do it!!! Please, don’t give up before you begin.[/quote]

Oh, I’m going to exercise - I’ve got an exercise bike at home that I’m going to use - but there’s no way I can do the kind of hardcore stuff that was so successful before, at least not for a while. I’m also taking an anti-inflammatory, and will see the doc in another month, so who knows what will happen between now and then? My husband is amazed that I have to work so hard to drop weight…he walks a couple of miles a day and can drop weight with no problem. He says my body is just too efficient at storing calories, and I have to work doubly hard to make it let go. That was great in caveman times, but now it bites. LOL!!!

mcissue, that’s typical for men and women. In general, men have a MUCH easier time dropping weight than women. Stinks, don’t it?

Most people DO need a combination of healthy eating and exercise to drop weight. And diets usually don’t work because people go back to their old eating habits once they’ve dropped the weight.

I don’t have a lot to lose, so I’m using the food pyramid as a guide for what to eat. (Thanks for the link, Shandeh!) I like it because it makes sense to me about what is healthy and isn’t healthy, and it doesn’t demonize carbs the way Atkins and some other diets have been doing lately. I will never believe carbs are bad–refined sugars, hell yes, even refined flour is pretty bad, but carbs? No way. Also, it has lots of tips and a tracker that helps you plan what to eat ahead of time. It also has helpful charts that tell you what constitutes a cup of vegetables or an ounce of meat.

My dinner last night was half a Cornish Game Hen, which is 4 oz of meat/beans. I need to eat 5.5 (I got some more protein from peanut butter/nutella toast, which was my dessert.) 1 egg=1 oz, etc.

You can do it!!! Please, don’t give up before you begin.[/quote]

Well, the question is not really when I work out as much as it is giving my feet a chance to heal. Whether I exercise before or after work, it still puts me on my feet longer than I should be - that was my point. I’ve talked to people (besides the doc) who have suffered from this, and they all say the best thing you can do is be off your feet as much as possible. Every time you’re on them, you are just straining the ligament more.

You could try concentrating on working your upper body and “core” for now, in ways that don’t involve standing. I think there are actually exercises designed for seniors where the whole workout is done sitting in a chair. Might be something to look into. At least it’ll keep you moving.

There used to be a PBS show called “Sit and Be Fit” that was done sitting down. I don’t know if it is still in production, but it would be a good place to start.

Well frankly I have a lot to lose. And I want to do it in a healthy way, but more importantly I want to DO IT. I’m motivated and I have the board set up for all who are interested…

:hug: Come on!!!