OT: Ok all you committed weight loss people!

The holidays are over and I know several of you want to get started on this so let’s do it. I know someone was willing to set something up we can check in with etc. and not be bothering the knitting site.

I have started already. I cleaned out the pantry and fridge, went to the store and bought all good healthy stuff, ate a good breakfast of yogurt, fruit and a boiled egg, did a workout on the treadmill this morning and I am ready to get at it!

Let’s hear from others that are wanting to lose weight and be serious about it this year!

Faye

Im in! :cheering: I’ve been working on losing wieght and eating more healthy for a while. Since I know losing all my wieght in the winter months almost never happens, I would like to maintain or possibly lose 5 lbs in the next couple months till it gets warmer. Then its really on :twisted:

I’m in!!! :cheering:

I can set up a board and stuff this evening if everyone can wait until I get off work…

check out the fit knitters in the blot forum
http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2214&sid=01a68b301dc1f5ba90715480cb3478a3

I’m in!

I had lost about 30 lbs. 3 years ago and kept it off really well, until about a year ago when I spent a week in Memphis. (I don’t know how ANYONE keeps their weight down living in Memphis. Holy smokes!) Then I was pretty good, just about 5-10 lbs. over my low, until I got married in June. Then all hell broke loose.

Now I want to lose 20 lbs.

SO, I started my healthy eating plan after Christmas (Weight Watchers), and DH and I (re)joined the gym on Friday. I’ve already gone to the gym twice and then yesterday we REALLY kicked it up with a 6.2 mile 1200’ hike in the Santa Monica Mountains. (Now I can’t move.)

Anyway, glad to know I’m in a community with people I can support/be supported by!

WOOHOO go US!

I’m in. I want to lose and keep 45 pounds off before the end of the year. lofty goal, yes. but I’m not getting any younger or lighter, and my health is suffering because of my weight.

I’m definitely in. I started last January and I lost 45 pounds. I stopped in summer and I have maintained my weight since them except maybe 5 lbs or so. But I still have 20-25 pounds to lose and so I am starting again! Yippee. Should only take me about 5 - 6 weeks. :cheering:

I’m in. I want to go to the gym, but I’m recovering from a cold.

The logical part of me says that not only will I be fine, but I’ll feel better because exercise is great for feeling better when you have a cold, but the lazy part of me is all “Waaah, I have a stuffed nose,” so we’ll see who wins.

The gym is across from my office, which makes it easy to go after work, if I can pull myself together enough at the end of the day.

Notice where I live? I have a bbq place ACROSS THE STREET! Good for you going to WW. It is a great program and healthy for you too, not kooky.

You HAVE to try this pizza from Lean Cuisine. It is spectacular and like 200 calories. Brick Oven Style Pizza/Gourmet Mushroom. It says it is 6 WW points.

Chel: That would be great if you could get us a board set up. I belong to a weight loss website and have for several years, but it would be nice to be with the knitters too!

LET’S DO THIS GIRLS!

Started South Beach this morning. My husband started with me; I think it will help with both of us eating the same things. Exercise will start sometime next week when the kiddos are back at school in the mornings.

My three year old woke with a stomach virus this morning, so food is really the last thing I want! :ick:

Although I do want to lose weight, my big issue is getting my blood sugar under control. If I can get my blood sugar back to normal levels, it should help with the cravings and therefore weight loss. I don’t have diabetes yet, but if I don’t get this under control, it could get ugly.

It’s good to know there are others out there working on their health too! Shall we just join the “Fit Knitters” already on the blog threads?

Chel, that would be GREAT. I weighed this morning -212.5. GROSS!!! i want ot lose about 50 lbs. I have several books for various low carb type diets: South Beach, Sugar-Busters, Carbohydrate Addict, etc. They all are very similar. Cut out s :cheering: :happydance: :muah: ugar, processed flour and processed food. Heavy on protein, good fats and good carbs after the initial phase.

Also, some say you should NOT weigh every day. Carbohydrate Addicts says that you should keep a chart, weighing every day at the same time and in the same type clothes. then at the end of each week you average that week’s weights. this gives you the average weight for the week. You then compare the week’s average with the average from the week before. This allows for variations from day to day. Good luck to us all. :yay:

I’m a total nutrition freak. I love to cook, and I’m vegetarian. Luckily I never have bad weight issues, although I could stand to lose a couple of pounds right now. So I will not only join in, but I’ll also cheer you on! :cheering:

:grphug:

If anybody wants to cut down on fat and would like some good vegetarian recipes, I’d be happy to provide them.

This is great!!! The reasons most people FAIL at weight loss is LACK OF SUPPORT and LACK OF ACCOUNTABILITY.

I can admit when I fall off the wagon if you guys can give me a hand climbing back on!

As far as joining the other group, I wouldn’t mind doing that also, but for the most part I like the intimacy of hanging out with a group I “know”. Maybe some would feel more comfortable in a small group? :shrug:

All I know is I am 100% on board with this, and look forward to a long reductive friendship. :teehee:

thought u guys might be interested in checking your BMI

wont, post mine here cuz well, i’m 16 and a little on the skinney side, so mine would probably do nothing but discourage some of u :pout:

I don’t know how you do it!! When I first got to Memphis, I HAD TO have something totally Southern for breakfast, so I chose biscuits and gravy. Little did I know, EVERYTHING is either bbq or fried or served with biscuits and gravy. For instance: The last night I was there, I was feeling really unhealthy, so I ordered grilled fish. Healthy, right?

WRONG. It was grilled fish all right, but it was served on a bed of biscuits and smothered in creole gravy. And I am NOT exagerrating. That’s SERIOUSLY what they brought me!!

Oy vey.

Anyway I LOVE WW, that is why I rejoined it. I love to cook and do a pretty good job of making meals that are high on veg and low on the bigger-points stuff, thus my general ability to keep it off once it’s gone (until the things I mentioned came about). I LOVE the Lean Cuisine pizzas, and keep a stock of lots of LC and Healthy Choice meals in the freezer for lunch on my work-from-home days.

This is exciting.
I wish I could go exercise today because you all have me so motivated, but after yesterday’s hike, I seriously cannot move.
Whoops.

count me in, went back to the gym today and started the fat smash diet yesterday.

I don’t know how you do it!! When I first got to Memphis, I HAD TO have something totally Southern for breakfast, so I chose biscuits and gravy. Little did I know, EVERYTHING is either bbq or fried or served with biscuits and gravy. For instance: The last night I was there, I was feeling really unhealthy, so I ordered grilled fish. Healthy, right?

WRONG. It was grilled fish all right, but it was served on a bed of biscuits and smothered in creole gravy. And I am NOT exagerrating. That’s SERIOUSLY what they brought me!!

Oy vey.

:rofl: :rofl: Yeah, that’s the south for you. I am a :shock: yankee interloper down here as I grew up in Northwest Indiana (South Bend area) but these folks down here sure can eat! Luckily, I hate biscuits and gravy, but I do love the bbq here, of course I really like the one across the street!

I am just doing basic good nutrition, keeping a food diary, water, and exercise. One thing I read about a lady who lost over 200 lbs was that every lunch and dinner she had salad before her meal. She said it helped fill her up before she ate.

I am looking forward to getting together with you ladies and helping each other out. Believe me, if there is some diet you want to know about, I have probably been on it or tried it or read about it or something.

Faye

BMI is a great general guideline, but don’t get too discouraged by it or hold it as gospel truth! It’s slightly more reliable than a height/weight chart, but it still has flaws. It’s geared toward inactive people of regular or slim build. So if you’re a broader build, or you are athletic/muscular in any way, shape, or form–your BMI numbers might surprise you in a bad way. Don’t worry about it! Remember to concentrate most on how you feel, how your clothes feel, your energy level, etc.

Just as an example–I’m short (5’4) with a rather broad and muscular build, and I’ve always been athletic. My BMI according to all those calculators is over 30. Now–I am overweight, definitely. You might even say I’m fat. But I KNOW I’m not “obese” or even anywhere near that territory. I wear a size 10/12 pants, for cripes sake! And I’ve got an ample bosom. So yes–I’m overweight, but NO I am NOT obese. And yet, according to all those calculators I am very solidly in the “obese” category.

So…grain of salt and all! I say this because there is such positive energy in this thread and I don’t want anyone to get disappointed! You all are an inspiration to me as well. :cheering:

We should start a club :teehee:

BMI is a great general guideline, but don’t get too discouraged by it or hold it as gospel truth! It’s slightly more reliable than a height/weight chart, but it still has flaws. It’s geared toward inactive people of regular or slim build. So if you’re a broader build, or you are athletic/muscular in any way, shape, or form–your BMI numbers might surprise you in a bad way. Don’t worry about it! Remember to concentrate most on how you feel, how your clothes feel, your energy level, etc.

Just as an example–I’m short (5’4) with a rather broad and muscular build, and I’ve always been athletic. My BMI according to all those calculators is over 30. Now–I am overweight, definitely. You might even say I’m fat. But I KNOW I’m not “obese” or even anywhere near that territory. I wear a size 10/12 pants, for cripes sake! And I’ve got an ample bosom. So yes–I’m overweight, but NO I am NOT obese. And yet, according to all those calculators I am very solidly in the “obese” category.

So…grain of salt and all! I say this because there is such positive energy in this thread and I don’t want anyone to get disappointed! You all are an inspiration to me as well. :cheering:[/quote]

WORD. The first time I calculated my BMI I decided it was all a crock of steaming poo because I knew I wasn’t obese. And I’m (usually) only overweight based on height/weight charts. (Currently, well, I’m a little overweight, but that’s why I’m here.)

I’m an inch taller than you, similar build. The nurses at doctor’s offices always try to weigh me at 120 lbs. Flattering, but it’s anywhere from 25 lbs (at my skinniest) to 50 lbs off. I aim for 145-150 lbs, because I feel good at that weight, my clothes fit well, and I’m happy with how I look.