OT - My cat is dying :(

I know this place has many “cat people” so i figured you’d understand…

He’s 19 years old and has always been a loving, wonderful cat. He’s also quite cheeky and rasty - full of piss and vinegar at times…

He’s lived through a category 4 hurricane when he was let out by my sister’s stupid roommate… He started off as my sister’s cat (named Asbury after Asbury Park, NJ), then my dad’s, then mine for the longest… 14 years.

In the last 3 years he’s been slowing down and getting really skinny… i try and feed him as much as he can eat but he still keeps getting skinnier (and he IS eating, just not keeping it on). I can tell he has a touch of arthritis in his right rear leg but he’s still just as feisty as ever (and also even more snuggly).

Tonight i came home from having dinner with my sister and he’s taken a terrible turn. I think he’s had a stroke :crying: :crying: He was covered in diarrhea and is listing to the left when he walks. Most of the time he just stops and stares into space and can barely stand.

I don’t know if he’ll make it through the night… My dad is distraught. (Picture Robert DeNiro in “Meet the Parents” and Jinxy - that’s exactly how my dad is with cat - totally wrapped up in him)

He’s 19 years old - VERY old in cat years - so i’ve known this is just around the corner… but it’s still just as horribly shocking… He’s been a big part of my life for so long…

-hh :crying:

I am so sorry. I know how it feels to lose a pet. For what it’s worth, I’m praying for you and your dad. Again, SO sorry. Just know that he’s going to be at peace. Wish you the best.

Oh, HH!!! :heart: I’m so sorry to hear it. I’ll be thinking of you.

Dear Hedgehog,
My heart goes out to you. Although I do not have a cat anymore, at one point in my life we had 7 cats in our home. I loved them all and had to go through the agony of watching 2 of them pass. I hope your fond memories of him will pull you through. God Bless.

Im SO sorry, Hedgey… losing a pet (I had to put my Katie down) is the hardest thing Ive EVER had to do. Ill be thinking about you and sending HUGS. :frowning:

I am SO sorry!! I have 3 cats of my own and I know that they are family members and not just pets. I feel for you and I’m so sorry you have to go through this. :frowning:

My cat was 21 when she died and I also thought she’d had a stroke. She’d had such a good life that I didn’t want to horrify her in the end by taking her to the vet. She went peacefully. It broke my heart because she was as old as my youngest daugher–we’d had her for 19 years. I still miss her and occasionally think that she’s tapping at the window. My heart goes out to you. :heart: :heart:

:heart: :heart: :heart:
Hugs and Prayers to you, your family, and most of all Asbury. One of life’s purest loves is that of an animal for their human…
We all care about you during this difficult time

(((((((hugs)))))))

I’ve said a little prayer for you and kitty and dad. Just love him up tonight and stay with him and keep him company and tell him how wonderful he is and how happy he makes you.

How sad to hear about your kitty! I send you good thoughts and prayers (and so do my two cats Shady and Mr Kitty). I have always found it comforting in knowing what a wonderful life they had and how wonderful they make yours in return.

I don’t know what I would do without my kitties, as many of KH feels, so please keep us posted.

My heart goes out to you and you family.

Jodi &
Minnie, Oreo & Cookie

Oh no. I feel for you and your family. We have 2 cats and I am close to them like that too. Big hugs!!

Trish

I am so sorry to hear this. I just lost my Sable Kitty last week, and I really feel for you. :crying: My prayers and thoughts are with you and your family during this difficult time.

It may not be much comfort now, but everyone is right in saying that you should think on the good things about his life, and the joy he brought you.

I am so sorry to hear about you kitty! I just started tearing up after I read your post. My best friend (Spike my cat) died a year ago and I miss him everyday.

I am so sad for you. I know exactly how you feel because we lost a wondrful little gray cat - Cinder - a few months ago in a very similar way except that she was only about 7. I sat and held her and talked to her during her last hour (and then some to be sure). It was one of the hardest things I’ve ever done, but I was glad she wasn’t alone.

Wishing peace for all of you.

:heart: :heart: Hugs to you and your dad and to Asbury. I’ve had pets all my life, and losing one always hurts so very much, particularly one that has been with you as long as Asbury has. :crying:

I am so sorry to hear about your cat. :crying:

I’m so sorry. It’s very hard to lose a good friend. My prayers are with you and you’re family.
Nikki

Ugh, i can’t even imagine. Thoughts and blessings to your family as you go through this difficult time. :frowning: :crying: