OT: How to crochet?

I know that this has nothing to do with knitting, but how can I learn how to crochet? I’ve been trying to learn how off of the internet, but they’ve all been really confusing. Hints and helps, please?

The only thing that I know how to do with a crochet hook is to pick up dropped sts and do a provisional cast on…LOL!!
I have started to learn, then I start thinking…“I could just be knitting instead” Sorry :blush: , I am of no help!

Well, first of all you might like to check out www.Crochetville.org for a forum on crochet. I’m a member there as well, and it’s a wonderful place.

Secondly, check http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com/directory/tutorials.php for various tutorials about crochet. I found that some of these tutorials are better than others, you may find that one that works for you.

If none of THOSE suit you, try http://stitchguide.com/stitches/crochet/index.html for videos of crochet stitches. None of them have audio, but they are pretty good and clear though maybe a little fast. Try watching them a few times if you don’t catch everything the first time.

Good luck!

Do you knit English or Continental? If you knit Continental, then you’ll hold your yarn in exactly the same way. Half of the trouble I found with learning to crochet was figuring out how to hold the blasted yarn.

I don’t know of any good sites for crochetting though. If you’d like, I can try to figure out my webcam and take some pictures for you.

Also try www.crochetcabana.com

Um, is crocheting supposed to look exactly like knitting? I’m right in the middle of crocheting a piece, and it LOOKS EXACTLY like I’ve knit it. :??

Tunisian crochet can mimic knitting outwardly, but the back doesn’t look like knitting.

At first, I couldn’t discern the difference between crochet and knit but now I can spot the two fairly easily.

I think crochet and knit look different. Knitting has little v’s like this:

vvvv
vvvv
vvvv

crochet is more bumpy and twisty lookin

UUUU

UUUU

I will say this though, learning crochet helped to learn how to do continental. SO if youever want to learn conti, then learn how to crochet first :thumbsup:

See look at these pictures:

I never really learned how to Crochet…

However, my wife knows, so if I ever need something done, she does it for me…

She’s SOOO nice to me … :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: