OT: Got any Stew tips?

I’m making some stew on the stove. It’s been simmering for hours, but is still watery. It tastes great, but how do I thicken it without changing the flavor too much?

Also, if you have some good recipes I would love them. I make Italian Stew everytime, which can get a bit old. :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Melt 2 tablespoons of butter over medium-high, add 2 tablespoons of flour and stir constantly until the roux turns a deep shade of blonde.

Stir that into your stew a little bit at a time, letting the stock simmer for a couple of minutes in between.

Still not thick enough? Do it again.

I’ve got stew recipes at home, lemme see what I can come up with.

Oh yeah, and try dredging the meat for your stew in flour before you brown it off, it helps things thicken up quicker!

exactly what i was gonna say, but sometimes i just get a tablespoon of butter and make a paste with it and some plain flour, then put this paste into the stew - works the same way, but you don’t have the extra dirty pot, which is always a bonus!

I didn’t know you could add roux to a stew, I thought you had to add liquids to it. I make alot of sauces from roux (the flour/fat paste), but never knew that it works the other way. I was really worried about flour lumps or something. lol.

Many thanks!

If you’re worried about lumps, stir some of the stock into the roux before you add it to the pot.

Mix 2-3 TBLSP cornstarch with 1/4 cup cold water. Wisk until smooth. SLowly drizzle into stew mixture.

i don’t often use cornstarch (or cornpowder where i come from), i find it gives a different (can’t quite explain in what way different) result and i usually just reserve that for asian cooking… i use a roux generally for most things, and have never had a problem with it lumping (unless i dump it in and walk away :doh: )

Definitely add a roux. I also usually add pepper to my flour whenever I’m mixing it.

I’m a big stew person and I’m famous for my Samhain stew which I make every Halloween. I coat the meat in flour before I brown it, and the stew thickens up beautifully every time.

I also always have potatoes or rice in my stew, and the starch in the vegetables also adds thickness.

Good luck! Now I’m hungry!