OT: Completed my quilt ! ** Updated AGAIN :)

I am making my second quilt. My cousin is having a baby boy in a few months!.. I bought the fabrics, and scanned them (yes I am this crazy), and organized them. Both are almost hte same except for one fabric… please help… I cant decide …

number 1

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=398137151&size=m

number 2

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=398183365&size=m&context=photostream

I vote #2

I think im partial to number 2 myself…but my mom likes number 1… So far its 2-1 in favor of 2!

number 2 is my preference…

I would say #2 as well. There’s something about the dark blue squares that throws off the flow of the quilt. Unless you did a dark blue border to kind of tie them in.

Ahh…yes… I love the dark blue fabric…but it does stick out like a sore thumb!

Thanks for your opinions :slight_smile: :heart:

Good luck with whichever you choose to make. I’m sure your cousin will :heart: it.

My daughter STILL sleeps with the quilt her great grandmother made her. The poor quilt has been through 15 years of washings, sicknesses, and travels. It’s falling apart. But she refuses to put it away for safekeeping.

I am totally amazed by those who can make such loved treasures! :heart:

:muah:

I vote for #2. The dark blue just doesn’t seem quite right in this design.

I also like #2, but I don’t like the busy-ness of the border. I made a silimar quilt 2 years ago… it has a simple block border made with the same colors as in the quilt, and then I used a ruffle I bought at the sweing store.

wow, cool… I am not as skilled in my quilting…no real blocks, just plain squares…

The border fabric is busy… I was going to use that as a backing fabric…but the fact that it was so busy made me pull away from that…do you think its too busy for a backing fabric? …

I like quilt #2 the best. :cheering:

You could add a solid color border on to the quilt top first as an inner border (maybe yellow, white, or light blue) and then put your current border around as the outside border.

I hope you’ll post a picture when you’ve finished the quilt! I just got a sewing machine for Christmas and I want to start some similar projects. Somehow I need to find a balance between the knitting I want to do and the sewing I’d like to try (and the scrapbooking that’s waiting for me to return…) :teehee:

I think that fabric would be cute on the back of the quilt, too. Especially since it’s a baby quilt. That way both sides are interesting for the baby to look at.

You could add a solid color border on to the quilt top first as an inner border (maybe yellow, white, or light blue) and then put your current border around as the outside border.

I hope you’ll post a picture when you’ve finished the quilt! I just got a sewing machine for Christmas and I want to start some similar projects. Somehow I need to find a balance between the knitting I want to do and the sewing I’d like to try (and the scrapbooking that’s waiting for me to return…) :teehee:[/quote]

Ill deffinitely post a picture when Im done. Im going to have to play around some more with my design, maybe get some more fabrics. I need to make the quilt by March 7th so I may have to just go for it at some point and not worry too much about it. I really love the fabric that is the border fabric… Its so bright and colorful…

I understand what you mean about finding a balance with the various crafts… I pretty much started my obsessions all at once (about 14 months ago)… quilting, cross stitch, knitting and photography… my obsessive compulsive nature lends to me focusing on one at a time for a few months, then switching. If I didnt have this baby shower to go to I probably wouldnt be quilting for a few more months :), this is my knitting time hehehe…

EDIT: Here it is reworked without the crazy boarder… it has the muted colors with the dark blue border. Id probably throw the pirate fabric (what I was going to originally user for the backing) in there instead of the muted blue, and use the colorfull border fabric for the backing… That is, if I can find more of that darkblue swirly fabric…

:rofl: Oh, that sounds so familiar! I’m glad to know there are others like me. :teehee:

hehe you are deffinitely not alone…

I hope you’ll post a picture when you’ve finished the quilt! I just got a sewing machine for Christmas and I want to start some similar projects. Somehow I need to find a balance between the knitting I want to do and the sewing I’d like to try (and the scrapbooking that’s waiting for me to return…) :teehee:[/quote]

Ill deffinitely post a picture when Im done. Im going to have to play around some more with my design, maybe get some more fabrics. I need to make the quilt by March 7th so I may have to just go for it at some point and not worry too much about it. I really love the fabric that is the border fabric… Its so bright and colorful…

I understand what you mean about finding a balance with the various crafts… I pretty much started my obsessions all at once (about 14 months ago)… quilting, cross stitch, knitting and photography… my obsessive compulsive nature lends to me focusing on one at a time for a few months, then switching. If I didnt have this baby shower to go to I probably wouldnt be quilting for a few more months :), this is my knitting time hehehe…

EDIT: Here it is reworked without the crazy boarder… it has the muted colors with the dark blue border. Id probably throw the pirate fabric (what I was going to originally user for the backing) in there instead of the muted blue, and use the colorfull border fabric for the backing… That is, if I can find more of that darkblue swirly fabric…[/quote]

[color=blue]I like the blue as a border! :cheering: I agree it is hard to do it all! But there are so many things to try. I have to have tunnel vision when I go to AC Moore lol.

anne [/color]

I actually like the contrast of the first one. It really ties in the darker blue in the border gradient.

Hi again people… thanks for helping me design my quilt top.

I finished the quilt this weekend. I only uploaded pictures of the quilt top so far, but tonight or tomorrow will show the whole quilt, backing fabric and all. I think it turned out pretty nice (despite my unintentional pleating)… I have been knitting too, but all repeated stuff so no new pics (I have knitted about 6 jayne hats …everyone in my darn family wants one now…)

I ended up using that darker blue fabric for the border, the bright colors for the backing, and a purchased plain lighter blue fabric to keep it a little less muted on the front…All of your input really helped…

if you want to see it bigger (to see the individual fabrics) you can click here http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=404611988&size=l

thats beautiful :muah:
i like it and hope you post a pic of both sides when you are done

Thank you! I will deffinitely post a pic of both sides… I feel the need to show why I loved the busy/colorful fabric so much, and only a picture of the back (not a swatch like I used to make the sample photos) will do the fabric justice…

BTW: … I adore your profile picture…