OT -- Calling all Swedish Bakers!

Anna? Margot? Kaar? Can any of you help me?!! :pray:

I am trying to make my Swedish Grandma’s Pepparkakor recipe, and it just doesn’t seem right to me. She uses molasses, butter, sugar, cloves, ginger, cinnamon, flour, baking soda & sweet cream. There are no eggs! Could this be right?

Oh, and somewhere the instructions for adding in the sweet cream got left out. I’m going to cool the molasses/sugar/butter mixture (which I cooked on the stove) then add the cream, then mix in the flour/spice mixture.

Do any of you have a favorite recipe that you like to use? I’ve gone ahead and started to mix this one up, but I’m afraid that my copy of the recipe has lost some ingredients somewhere along the way. :pout:

I have a Swedish cookbook with a recipe:

[i]Stir the syrup with sugar, spices and margarine or butter until well mixed. Whip the cream till frothy and stir into the batter, a little at a time. Dissolve the baking soda in a little water and add together with part of the flour. Cover the dough which should be quite firm, let stand till the following day.

Knead the dough, adding the remaining flour. Roll out a small part and bake a test cookie in a 175 to 200 degree oven (celsius). If the cookie spreads, add a litle more flour to the dough. Roll out the dough very thin and cut with cookie cutters.[/i]

There are no eggs in the recipe I have–if you want the ingredients, let me know.

Ingy!! I’ve missed chatting with you.

Thank you for those very precise instructions. I forged ahead w/ what I had, and my batter was quite thin. I kept adding flour a little at a time, and it got a bit more stiff, and then I stuck it in the fridge.

I have a feeling it was a waste of good ingredients, and I’m going to have to do it all over again. <sigh> I’ll follow your instructions next time … and if you have a few minutes, I would love to see the quantities they show in your recipe. Mine is a HUGE recipe (4-1/2 C flour).

This recipe makes about 500 cookies. :shock: I’ll let you do the math. I guess Swedes love their Pepparkakor!

1 1/2 c syrup
1 3/4 c sugar
1 1/2 tbs ginger
1 1/2 tbs cinnamon
1 tbs cloves
12 oz. margarine or butter
1 1/2 c whipping cream
about 3 lbs. 5 oz. flour
1 tbs baking soda

Well, this has exactly the same ingredients as my recipe! :cheering: The “technique,” however, has gotten lost somewhere along the way. I think it’s 'cause Grandma just made it from memory and never actually used a recipe.

Ingrid, thank you!! I will print off the new & improved instructions & use them next time I make these. I will, however, be using MUCH smaller quantities! :lol:

:shrug: You’re not willing to make 500 cookies? :rofl:

If I weren’t so tired from kneading, rolling, cutting and baking for the past 2 days, I would post a witty reply. :tap:

Even with “only” 4 cups of flour, it’s taking FOREVER to bake these stoopid things. :wall:

I just stuck the dough back in the fridge, and now I’m moving on to Oreo Truffles & perhaps Spritz

:drool: :drool:

They sound yummy! Good luck with them! You are a good egg, Ingrid! Aren’t you proud of me, Ingrid? I haven’t ask you for more instructions lately! :rofl:

[color=green]This post’s Swedish word/phrase: “Ordnade det sig?” = “Did it work out?”
_____[/color]

Julie! :waving:

I didn’t see this until now… :pout: Did it work out for you?

Let me know if you want additional recipes for pepparkakor. I could always dig for some…

Hope you’re doing okey!

Kram!!!

Anna – They did turn out, actually! :cheering: My cookie rolling technique kinda stinks, so I have a pile of slightly … uh … toasty cookies. The rest of them turned out, well, though.

[color=green]En stor omfamna & God Jul till du![/color]

[size=2](I hope that translator I used is correct! :shock:)[/size]

Look what my FIL sent me:

A Swedish Kitchen

:lol:

Oooh, what are Oreo truffles…?

They’re fabulous, Karen, and easy, too.

1 pkg Oreo cookies
1 8 oz block cream cheese, softened
Big block of Almond Bark

Dump the whole bag of Oreos into the food processor and process until they look a little like finely ground coffee. Cut the cream cheese into chunks & put into food processor, too. Process until the whole mess turns into a big lump of dough.

It’s probably best to refrigerate the dough for a couple of hours before the next step …

Roll the dough into 1" balls & place on a cookie sheet. Put the cookie sheet in the fridge for a few hours, or until the balls are easy to handle w/out getting your hands all sticky.

Melt the Almond Bark in a double boiler (or the microwave if you’re more brave than I am). Drop the balls of Oreo dough into the Almond bark 1 or 2 @ a time, remove to waxed paper to dry.

These should be refrigerated, but ours don’t often last long enough!
:help:

I’ve also melted chocolate to drizzle over the tops of these, or you could sprinkle them w/ … uh … Sprinkles. :smiley:

Gotta run … we’re late today & we’re all in “I don’t wanna go mode.” :verysad:

OMG, Julie!!! I MUST make those!!! Thanks for posting the recipe. Maybe this coming weekend!!! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

OK - yum yum … but what’s Almond Bark??? what could I use instead that also doesn’t have nuts in? (something generic that I could substitute in the UK)

Sprinkles … I call them ‘Chocolate Vermicelli’ but I’m a snob :teehee:

Amanda, far as I know, almond bark is simply chocolate with almonds in it (it can be milk, dark - i.e. what you’d call “plain,” I think - or white - which isn’t really chocolate). So probably any chocolate you’d like to use would work for the coating…

I am a bit late in this tread!
Looking forward to see a picture of your 500 pepperkaker!

Amanda,

Almond Bark is just a candy coating. From what I understannd, it’s made with vegetable fat instead of cocoa butter. You could also use white chocolate, I’m sure. Anything that would set up would work. Oh, and the blocks of almond bark that I buy don’t have nuts in them, it’s just used to MAKE almond bark, which is a type of candy.

Margot –

Glad you could stop by! I’m not sure I’ll hang in there for all 500 cookies, and I don’t think I’ll be taking many pictures! :lol: Maybe I’ll try to sneak one in when I get some of our other cookies made. We’re going to try and get some Spritz made this afternoon. Love makin’ those!

OK, now I need to know what Spritz is… or are! :wink: