Opinions on adding a border

So, I’m “finished” with the Tilting Blocks afghan. (http://arabianknitsfree.blogspot.com/2006/08/tilting-blocks-baby-blanket.html) It’s for a friend of mine. She wasn’t sure of the baby’s gender until I had already begun (and I had the yellow yarn in my stash) so I started it and added the lavender when I found out it was a girl. Anyway. I had always planned on adding a border to it with the girlish or boyish color. I have a bunch of leftover lavender so I still can do it. I bought Nicky Epstein’s “Knitting on the Edge” so I’ve got a ton of patterns. I just need some opinions. Should I add an edge and if so, what kind? (Lacy, ribbing, fringe?) I’m not a big fan of the knotted fringe because it seems to unravel on blankets rather quickly when they are used and washed a lot. If you have the book and have a specific pattern in mind, that’d be great, but any advice would be helpful. I keep paging through the 350 patterns and getting overwhelmed!

The picture makes it look a little darker than it is. It’s a pale (lemon) yellow and light lavender. It measures 30" x 33". It has a garter stitch border.

Kelly

[B]No Border![/B] It is beautiful JUST AS IT IS!!! :happydance:

I agree!

The pattern already has a border - the 8 garter stitch rows at each end and 4 sts in garter on each side.

sue

I was about to post the same as sue…it has a border! :slight_smile:

I wouldn’t add anything to it. I think it is exquisite the way it is and might cheapen it if you add anything else. Let the beauty as it is shine!!!:inlove:

Well, gee. I guess that settles it! Now I just need to sew in the ends.

I really thought I’d use more yarn than I did, so I have a ton leftover. I’ll make a few little things and then maybe another blankie to donate to the children’s hospital…(too girly for my boy!)

Thanks for your help!

Kelly

You could make a matching sweater, hat and booties with the leftovers…

sue

I haven’t gone into the realm of sweaters…yet. I may try the hat or booties. I’ll peek around a few websites for ideas. If I can find a super simple baby sweater, I may give it a go :slight_smile:

Kelly

Nothing easier than the 5 hour baby sweater, also know as the Quick baby sweater. It’s a top down cardigan and can be made in girl or boy version (bobble and lace, or not).

sue

I’m gonna dissent from popular opinion and suggest adding some lavender to the border so as to soften the color differences.

I like the idea of a lavender border too. I think it would add unity to the whole thing. If it were mine I wouldn’t make it lacy though. I think lacy would take away from the fun block pattern you made with the yellow.