One Skein Secret Pal Exchange

i would LOVE to participate if this were a KH thing… and i’ve got some extra skeins that i would part w/that are in ALL the different ranges…

so maybe it might be a good idea to do it in degrees…

the big wheels or beginners (w/the lower end priced stuff)
the training wheels or intermediates (w/the middle of the roads)
and the unicyclists… or the experienced (w/the high end jammies)

whattaya think? (cause i can ride allll three)

I’d do it too!!! Someone please post or pm me and let me know if this gets started! :slight_smile: I’ll keep an eye out too…

After it is approved (I’m assuming it would be), we’ll need someone to head it up. I feel like I’m too new to be heading up such a big project, but I’m willing to help out if need be. I think it would be easiest to post the questions that each participant needs to answer and have them copy/paste them in an email answer them and then email them to whomever wants to head it up. There can be a deadline and then that person can get everything organized and email each person as to who their secret knitter pal is and get started.

I don’t know much about different yarns, so I’ll be a beginner no doubt, but I think it’ll definitely be something fun and a good way to really get me knitting (My hooded blanket seems long and hard and for my first real project I feel like I"m loosing interest b/c it’s takes a lot to see any kind of results).

~danielle~

I’m interested! Sounds like fun. Knitting for someone here would be kinda scary. Like someone else said you all know how to knit and would see all my mistakes :oops: - unless it was felted :wink:

i also think it’s a great way to make a more personal knitting connection & friend y’know…? (not that i think kh is impersonal or anything)… i dunno i just think it would be really cool

ooooh danielle, you have fallen into the big project trap! quick…do a hat or something so you don’t lose interest!

This is just my two cents and I am sure this would never happen here, BUT…

I just got done being one of the hostesses for Secret Pal 7. Overall it went well, but I was totally SHOCKED at how some of the people that signed up either didn’t hold up their end of the bargain at all or did so with things that their pal had no interest in receiving (ie red heart when they said natural fibers only, questionnaires were posted, etc) This happened despite very clearly defined rules.

Just a caution if you decide to do this. I still can’t believe what some people in that exchange did!

well i did voice that issue when i PMed Kelly to see if it was okay that we do this. I have been part of swaps where the people who signed up didn’t even send anything but received their package. they would go on and on saying it was on the way and it would never arrive. The person receiving would then come to the forum and out the person for doing it. it may be justified but it never helps keep the peace amongst everybody else. i would HATE to see this group get fractured over something like that! i would rather be part of the interweave one where i have no expectations of the people involved because i don’t “know” them than to see the happy existence we have disappear!

When my knitting guild does a “Yankee Swap” … brown bag, choose a number … sometimes you get something really good and sometimes you think … what were they thinking. You sort of have to take the good with the bad. MY FAVORITE part of it is seeing who got what I brought and trying to bring the best “gift”. Maybe we have to sign up knowing we have to take the good with the bad… but I am thinking if it is going to be 20 or so of us KHer … AND … we are going to be posting our “gift” for EVERYONE TO SEE … I doubt there will be any 100 yr old red heart :slight_smile: but even if I got 100 year old red heart I would truly assume that it was the best the person had to give. That’s just the way we are here at KH!!!

well i did voice that issue when i PMed Kelly to see if it was okay that we do this. I have been part of swaps where the people who signed up didn’t even send anything but received their package. they would go on and on saying it was on the way and it would never arrive. The person receiving would then come to the forum and out the person for doing it. it may be justified but it never helps keep the peace amongst everybody else. i would HATE to see this group get fractured over something like that! i would rather be part of the interweave one where i have no expectations of the people involved because i don’t “know” them than to see the happy existence we have disappear!

I can see how this would be an issue…but in my opinion, I think the regular visitors to this site are pretty honest, and would hold up to their end of the deal…i dunno…we’ll see what the mods think. :wink: :thumbsup:

you make an excellent point Debbie. One of the things that i love most about holidays and such is just the excitment of opening the presents. even when i know what i am getting i am excited! i have gotten some BAD stuff in those swaps i have done but the anticipation of the getting and hearing from the recipient has been the best!

oh and one of the suggestions that was made, was maybe limiting it to people who have made X number of posts…not a bad idea…will get the people who aren’t quite there yet post more :wink: and make sure the people who come to play are gonna stick around with us! :smiley:

I think that is something that can only be determined by trying it out and seeing how it goes if it doesn’t go well we will know not to do it again and if it does go well maybe we could do it again another time.

This is a really great idea. If it doesn’t get going here, (or I’m not allowed to participate because I don’t have enough posts or something :crying:), I’ll probably go do it at the original site. But I hope we do it here. It would be so much more fun with people I feel like I’m starting to get to know.

If we do this, I wonder if it should be restricted to number of posts. We get so many new people, and it would be a shame to be excluded just because they haven’t been around that long.

Look, Ingrid, it exists! I feel like I half-jokingly posted this idea in your blog a while ago. :roflhard:

PUHLEEASE don’t limit it to people who have x amount of posts!! I really don’t have many I think this is my 17th but I would really like to be a part of this. I am fairly new to this site and posting here I don’t think I, or others like me, should be penalized because I have just discovered this great community.If you need confirmation that i am a nice person who will hold up her end of the deal I can give you a link to my ebay feedback and I have plenty of people who would write me letters of recommendation :smiley: Just a fairly newbie’s $.02.

awwww how could we resist that plea?! :rofling:

I’m game for whatever–it would be a shame to exclude newbies that are sincere but I have to say this for the record: I was once part of a scrapbooking forum where I did a few journals and several folks (new ones especially) flaked out and it’s really sad b/c I lost 2 journals and a set of tags b/c of it. My fear is that the same thing would happen again…I just think that sometimes new folks get REALLY excited about a new hobby and jump on a lot of projects…then as the excitement dwindles down…so does their participation. It’s really frustrating when that happens.

But all of that aside…I would hate to exclude a great person who is interested in participating. The only suggestion I have is that if someone “heads things up”, they get a contact phone number from everyone in case we need to contact someone to find out what happened to someone’s “stuff”. It’s a pain to have to do that but it’s frustrating to loose out b/c someone else doesn’t do their part.

I tend to think most everyone around here is a pretty great person…just my 2 cents…

You’re ahead of your time, Cate! :wink: