One side of knit is taller (its not a tension issue)

ive begun a raglan knit and ive been knitting in circles, right? but then i notice that one side is shorter than the other. so i thought maybe it’s the yarn tension i suck at. but good god, i eventually came to my senses and noticed that one end of my knit actually has like, a good 10 more stitches than the other end. i have literally no idea how this can happen ? ive been knitting in rounds, how did i end up adding ten stitches in height to just one side ? i followed along the entire thing and noticed that i had slowly been increasing height one stitch by one stitch some where along the middle. how do i add stitches in height to the lower side??? please help, gosh. cannot restart this. it took so much time :frowning:

Hello
This looks like it is knit back and forth rather than in the round, the fabric isn’t joined at the needle points. Do you turn and do a wrong side row of purl?

It looks like you might have put your knitting down mid row and when you came back to it you mistakenly turned the work and went back the other way before finishing the row. This would put extra rows on one side and it only has to happen a couple of times for the rows to stack up.

Do you know how to put a life line in to save your stitches? I would put in a life line and frog back to a row where there is not turn, where it is equal.

oh my god ??? yeah, ive been doing this over days, so i mustve gone the wrong way… god ! no, i do not know how to put a life line, i will have to learn i think :frowning: is it difficult?

1 Like

This tutorial should help with a life line.

There are other video tutorials too if you like to see a few.

Here is also how to tink. Tink is knit backwards and a term used when undoing stitch by stitch. Although it sounds tedious it can be quite therapeutic in a way and it is a slower way to undo stitches but keep them safe. Its an excellent skill to have if you don’t already.

Often when I put in a life line after the fact (like you will be doing) I end up on the wrong row in at least a few stitches, I have no idea how I manage to do that but I do. My approach is to place a life line a row higher than I need it, then rip out quickly to the row, replace the stitches on the needle, then tink the last row. This way if I have accidentally placed my life line on 2 rows I get some of them straight from the life line and tink some of them…but always make sure you have all the stitches for a single row before you start knitting again.

Once you get back to knitting there are a couple of things you can try to do to avoid this happening.
Try not to put work down mid row so that a full row is complete before stopping.
It’s not always possible to finish a row so if needed, put your work down carefully the way you are working, with the right needle on the right and the left needle on the left.
When you come back to your knitting check if you are mid row. If you are mid row the working yarn is attached to the stitch on the right needle.
The only time the yarn is coming from the stitch on the left needle is at the beginning of a new row before you work the first stitch. As soon as one stitch is worked the yarn is attached to the stitch on the right needle. This is the case regardless of which hand you hold the yarn in. Always check where the yarn is coming from.

If you frequently have to put your work down you can work out a method to mark your work, for example sliding a Red stitch marker onto the Right needle before putting a stitch stopper on the needle, so the needle with the Red goes in the Right hand when you come back. Remove the marker when you pick up your knitting.

Hope this helps.
Let us know how you get on and if you need any more help.