Oh, the second sock

This is partially a gripe, and partially a question:

I’ve cast on and knit the two inch corrugated-rib cuff of the second sock + the beginning of the calf shaping. This second sock is looking so superior to the first, that I am debating whether to frog the first and do it again :frog:

I would rather not do that …

Has anyone else had this happen to them? And will washing and drying flat (Regia sock wool) probably even out the first sock enough that the pair will “match” in the end?

I have to say my second sock of my 1st pair is [I]slightly[/I] better looking than its mate. Is it your 1st pair? If so, I’d just look at as a learning experience for pair #2. And I’d probably try washing and blocking to see if it helped.
Just my 2 cents for what it’s worth:)

It’s my second pair, but the first of the cuff down on dpns variety. Also it’s the first pair I’ve intended to give to someone else. I’m sure the inconsistencies are only noticeable to the trained observer (i.e. knitter). I am glad that I’m improving, I just wish it would be from one pair of socks to the next, not from one sock to the next :wink:

Hopefully blocking (washing) will work its magic!

Have you tried doing both socks on 2 circular needles? I am trying it for the first time at liking the fact that I can make cuff down socks both at the same time.

I started out with Cat Bordhi’s book Socks Soar on Circular Needles and just adapted the pattern from there. Then I used this cast on tutorial from Knitty so I could see how to cast on both socks at the same time.

I already made a pair of toe-ups with ML but I thought I’d try the 2 circ method since so many sock patterns are written for cuff down anyway.

It’s not a bad way to go – didn’t take me too long at all to get the hang of and the 2 circs aren’t any harder to deal with than dpns.

I love learning new ways of doing things and anyway I can avoid the dreaded SSS is alright by me.

I really want to love making socks like the rest of you but so far this is as close as I have come.

Best,
Susan

That’s exactly what I was thinking of trying next :wink:

I’m just like you … I feel that I’m close to liking knitting socks, but not quite there yet. I also like to learn all the new ways of doing things. That’s why I like knitting, but also why I don’t get really good at one thing in particular. Knitting is the perfect venue for my short attention span!

If something I’ve knit bothers me a lot, I rip it out and redo it. I actually find it kind of liberating–life doesn’t give you many do-overs! But if it’s something that will even up during the first wear-and-wash, I let it be.