Novita - Knitted baby booties.

Hi. Hope everyone is sound and safe
Can you please help me with a pattern I am knitting from Novita. It’s a knitted baby booties. I’m really confused and don’t have much experience on this.
I cast in 32 Sts and worked 28 rows in garter stitch
Then Purl 1 row on the next row K1, kfb, k18
Turn work, K8 Repeat - 16 times in total.
This I did with no problem. My confusion is when states to- Turn work. Using the right-hand needle, pick up and knit 8 stitches along the edge. I really don’t understand how to do this.
Then the next row Turn work K8 and continue knitting until 2 stitches remain. Kfb, K1

Please, please help. I’m trying to knit these booties for soon my grand baby to be. Thank you.

I found the original pattern: https://www.novitaknits.com/fi/fi/neuleohjeet/vauvan-neuletossut-novita-baby-wool/ohjeet

I have read the Finnish instructions and this is what you are supposed to do:

First you knit 28 rows rows of garter with 32 stitches in each.

Then you purl a row (creating a two row stockinette section).

Then you knit one, do KFB and knit 18 stitch more. You are thus 21 (20 + one increase) stitches from the edge and 12 stitches are not knitted yet.

At this point the instructions tell you to turn your work and knit 8 stitches. Rather than that I would turn the work, slip first stitch and knit 7. This is repeated 16 times.

By slipping the first stitch you get 8 edge stitches that you can easily pick up. Along the edge you will have a column of V. Pick up one leg of each of those V (or every second if you did K8 rather than S1, K7) and knit them. You now have the original 12 stitches left, those that I mentioned earlier. Knit 10, do KFB, knit 1.

I will definitely try it. Thanks. Will let you know how it goes. Thank again.

Thank you @engblom for your response. I’m not very experienced reading knitting patterns, but I was able to figure this one out with your tips.

I used a DK weight yarn available in the US, but used US 4 needles (3.5 mm) to accomplish it and make it Newborn size.

Hi,

I also need some help with this pattern, I get stuck at the same step. I just repeated turn and k8 16 times, then turned my work and am now ready to pick up with my right needle and k8 along the edge. However, if I turn my work as suggested my working yarn is on my left needle. How do I pick up and knit with my right needle if this is the case? Or did I make a mistake?

Thanks in advance

Hi and welcome to KH!

Use the yarn strand coming off the left needle to pick up the sts. The new sts can be picked up on the right needle or you can pick up with a crochet hook and transfer to the right needle.

Thank you salmon Mac for you quick response! However, this is not 100% the answer I’m looking for. Attached is a photo of my work. I already turned my work and am now ready to pick up with my right needle. However the working yarn is on the left needle. I don’t see how this is possible… Hopefully this makes sense!

You can use your left needle or, more easily, a crochet hook to pick up the sts down the side of the instep or top of the foot.
Is the RS or public side of the bootie facing us in the photo?

Hello! I to am confused on this step and how it is suppose to look. Were you able to figure it out? If you could explain would be appreciated. I am exactly at the same point as your picture. Where is the working yarn suppose to end up?

Hello! I’m having the same problem with this pattern at the same spot. Were you able to figure it out. Would appreciate any advice.

Welcome to KH!
You can use the left needle to start picking up sts at the blue arrow, then continue picking up along the line of the red arrow:

You could use the right needle to pick up sts but you would have to cut the yarn leaving about a 6 inch tail and use a new end of yarn to do so.

1 Like

Thank you, have done that but still doesn’t look right. Will continue and see the outcome. Thanks again,

Thank you so much for your very clear explanation! I ended up cutting the yarn and picking up with new yarn, and managed to finish the bootie this way :slight_smile:

1 Like