Not enough available stitches

I’m following a pattern that says to cast on 45 stitches.

1. S1, (P2, K2tog, K3, YO, K1, YO, K3, SSK, P1) 3 [4, 6] times, P2.
    2, 4, 6, and 8. S1, K2, (P11, K3) 3 [4, 6] times.

If I follow row 1, I need 6 more stitches to complete the shortest variation. Row 2 comes out fine. I’ve cast on 6 extra stitches, so the first row works, but then there are extra stitches on the second row.

I’ve counted the worked stitches following row 1, and there are still 45. I must be doing something wrong, but can’t figure out what.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Kelly

Please give us a pattern name and link if possible.

I just tested row 1 and I came out with the correct number so maybe you’re doing something incorrectly. Make sure you are doing the SSK, k2tog and YO right.

Don’t add stitches because it will affect your pattern.

Welcome to KH!
Yes, a mistake with the increases or decreases is usually the problem. The repeat should take 14sts (repeated 3 times).
If you’re using a stitch to make the 6 yarn overs that might be it. A yarn over doesn’t use a stitch. Simply bring the yarn between the needles to the front and over the right needle. That’s it.

Here’s a link to the pattern on Revelry. http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/aventine
It’s a for purchase pattern, though. I think I’m doing all those stitches correctly. The SSK is the only new one for me. I figured it’s something I’m doing wrong as no one else seems to have this problem. If you have any other tidbits, I’d be grateful. Will keep watching videos on these stitches.

That’s it! I am using a stitch for the yarn overs. Thanks! Can’t wait to get home and try again!

Glad you found it!