Not binding off for shoulders

I’m a relatively new knitter. Several more experienced knitters have said that they don’t bind off for the shoulders, but place the stitches on holders and use the three needle bindoff for seam the shoulders.

I have used the three needle bind off for another pattern. However,this pattern says bind off 12 stitches for two rows and place remaining stitches on holder.

If I understand this correctly, I end up with two extra rows of stockinette stitch.

My thought was to slip the first twelve from one needle to the next, knit the remaining stitches. next row again slip 12 stitches, knit the remaining.

However, how do it get my working yarn from the 12 slipped stitches to where I start knitting?

Would be most appreciative of help. I really do enjoy knitting - even the ripping out and starting again!

Mar3509

You’ve got the right idea. If you want to keep the sloped bind off, you can do short row shaping in preparation of three needle bind off.

Or you can just knit those extra rows all the way. I’ve done it both ways and to be honest, I don’t see much difference. If it’s a very fitted sweater, it might make a difference, and I don’t make very fitted sweaters. :wink:

If you want to do the short row shaping, let me know and I’ll try to explain it.