Nobody does... it weirder... makes you feel glad... for the rest... ;)

~
this is one of those questions where some of you are going to reflexively say, “WHAT on earth is he doing NOW?!?,” and that’s ok, i don’t know what i’m doing either :slight_smile:

i’m making washcloths using 3 different brands - sugar 'n cream, peaches & cream, and bernat handicrafter - in different colors. all new, all stored nicely. is cotton yarn usually slippery? i mean, it’s dry, but it’s slipping off my needles. even my bamboo and birch ones. i’ve tried about half a dozen needle types now - circular, straight, dpn, metal, plastic, wood.

long tail cast on, 50 stitches, plan is do a 5 stitch basketweave pattern, but not happening so far due to slipperiness. so what might i be doing wrong, and/or how might i fix this?

I don’t have the exact answer to your questions and I am sorry about that. But I can tell you something that may help you. I was gifted knitted wash clothes by a friend for Thanksgiving. Initially they felt fine but as I went along, I realised that with all the food smells in the kitchen, they soon start smelling strongly and it doesn’t go away with the washes too or even with high heat dryer.
Wishing you the best.

I think Carly might forgive you. :roflhard:

Cotton yarn likes to slide around. I just got used to using it. I don’t know what else to tell you. I can say that I have knitted cloths that I use a lot and they don’t have a smell problem.

I’ve usually found those to be sticky not slippery. Different needles react differently though. Do you knit loose?

As for smell… With heavier yarn like you’re using they need to be changed often because they don’t dry well and can get smelly. I use finer weight yarn now so they dry fast and I don’t have any problems.

BTW… You’re casting on 50?! With that size yarn you can probably cast on 30 unless you like unusually large dish clothes or are making a towel.

i’ve used cotton dishrags/washcloths for years, with no issues. about 6 or 8 years ago, the costco here had a big Big BIG bag of them in different colors. my mom and i split them. but they’re now wearing out, and we haven’t seen that item in the store since, so it’s time to make some, now that i know how. :wink: as i usually change them out every day or two, with a rinse and drip-dry after tasks. i’ve never had smell issues with them, but i know if you use them too many days in a row without laundering they can smell. also, i’ve heard if you rinse them in cold water after a task, that helps keep the smell away too. some of that may depend on local water supply, and the task that’s been done.

anyway… ok, so cotton can be slippery for some people, and not others. good to know. right now i have them on size 5 stainless needles. it’s making a fabric i’m happy with - not too thick, not too thin. once i got about 4 or 5 rows in, it did get easier to work with, but still slick in parts. i’m up to about 15 or 20 rows now, and the 50 stitches across is making 9", about what i estimated with my gauge swatch (yes, i really did… basketweave’s a new pattern for me.) that size rag is good for big hands.

thanks all, for all the feedback :slight_smile:

Having read so much about stenchous dishrags I decided to see how long I could use one without noticing a smell. Hand washed dishes in my kitchen go into really hot water, too hot to put my hands in, and soak for a little while before washing. I use straight hot water in the other side of the sink for rinsing, being careful to not get scalded. Well, it’s not quite [I]that [/I]hot I guess but I still don’t keep my hands in it long. I washed the dishrag out really well in the dishwater then rinsed it thoroughly in the hot rinse water. I finally said to heck with it and threw the thing in the laundry for a fresh one. I’d used it more than a week already. Once I used an old rag (not one I’d made) to wipe up after fish and forgot to clean it out right away. It developed a stench that would not wash/bleach out. So, in conclusion, I suggest that it’s a matter of leaving stuff that will get smelly in the cloth and then letting it ferment.

1 Like

I don’t actually use mine for washing dishes…just cleaning up counters. The smell I’m referring to was really more of a mildew smell which could happen if they stay wet too long which was what happened to me.

fermented knitting… :ick:

1 Like

“Yarnweh, grant me the courage to frog the knits I cannot fix, the serenity to knit the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.”

Amen!

:rofl:

Just a thought - I boil mine for 5 minutes with a bit of washing soda. That’s also what I use for cleaning beekeeping equipment and seems reasonably effective