No Name Texture Pattern

Hello! I am knitting a sweater that instructs me to *K2, pull 2nd st on left hand needle in front of 1st st, knit each st individually; rep from * to end. Do they mean to lift the 2nd stitch over the 1st and place it on the left hand needle to be knit?! There is no name given to the pattern so I’m not exactly sure what it’s supposed to look like. Thanks for any assistance. (I can’t link the pattern because it is a purchased pattern.)

The instructions are for a right twist and there are several ways to accomplish the same look. In this case you knit the 2nd stitch by pulling the leg in front of the first stitch, knit it, leave that stitch where it is, knit the first, then move them both off the left needle. This shows the same thing except that instead of simply knitting the stitches in in the different order it has you move them around. I thought that might help you understand the concept too. Here’s a search for how to knit a right twist. There is the left twist counterpart also that you might like to look into. Happy knitting!

1 Like

Thank you so much for your reply! For a novice/intermediate knitter like myself, this website (and you!) are invaluable. I have the link to a picture of the sweater here, http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/loulou-2 in case you were willing to double check that I’m understanding properly what is being asked of me. The 2nd row in the pattern is purled and the third says “*Sl 2 knitwise one at a time to right hand needle, use left hand needle to pull 1st stitch over 2nd stitch and return sts to left hand needle, k1tbl, k1tbl, k2” That sounds like a twist to me, right?! Have a great day!

The 2 directions that you quote are for different variations on the same stitch pattern. One goes left and one right.

"*K2, pull 2nd st on left hand needle in front of 1st st, knit each st individually; rep from * to end. "

“*Sl 2 knitwise one at a time to right hand needle, use left hand needle to pull 1st stitch over 2nd stitch and return sts to left hand needle, k1tbl, k1tbl, k2”

Neither seems like the usual twisted stitch where one entire stitch moves in front of another. You can see the stitch pattern in this project from Rav, photo one.
http://www.ravelry.com/projects/lisaat/loulou
In one case the bar at the base of the stitch goes left and in the other case right.

1 Like

Yes, thanks. It did seem different to me than the videos I watched on twisted stitches. I guess I will follow the instructions verbatim and, once swatched, I’ll see if my pattern looks anything like hers!! I appreciate your response.

I’m sorry. I misread your post. I’m glad salmonmac learned how to read.

1 Like

It’s a curious and rather unique stitch pattern. I had to try it out for myself to understand it.

1 Like

I hate to ask because you’ve already been so helpful but I have two more questions regarding this pattern! When I pull the 2nd stitch in front of the 2nd in the first sequence, I’ve been knitting it and then the ‘first’ stitch and then slipping them both onto the right needle. Is that correct? Or do I knit the crossed over 2nd stitch onto the right needle right away and then knit the first stitch? Or does it matter?! (hope that makes sense) Almost same question for the next instruction. When I return the stitches to the left needle, do I knit them through the back in the sequence they are now on the needle or the crossed over first stitch first (which is the second stitch now on the left hand needle)? I’m so sorry, I have emailed the designer but she hasn’t responded! Probably because I’m so clueless.

In the first direction, pull the 2nd stitch over the first, knit that stitch (which is now closest to the LHN tip) and slip it off the left hand needle, then knit the next stitch and slip it off.
In the second sequence, return the sts to the LHN and knit each stitch tbl in the order they are now. Knit each one and slip it off the LHN as you knit it.
In both cases the idea is that you reverse the order of the sts and knit stitch 2 before stitch one.
Don’t worry about asking questions and more questions. We all love talking knitting and crochet. if this isn’t clear, ask again.

Oh my gosh! Your last set of instructions did the trick! Thanks so much for your patience. I have written your words on my pattern print off so I’ll remember what to do if I ever make this sweater again. It actually looks really nice and, now that I know what I’m doing, is pretty easy to do.

Great news! Enjoy making the sweater and post a photo please.