Next size

Just seen this pattern in lets knit magazine and I love it trouble is I need the next size up would it possible to work out the difference to make it the next size up?

It’s definitely possible to extrapolate to a larger size. The degree of difficulty depends on how much shaping there is in the garment and whether it has an unusual construction.

It is helpful if the pattern has a schematic.

What is the pattern name? It seems to be cut off for me. Can you put up a photo of the garment?

It’s from lets knit magazine I saw and thought just me but I need the next size up I just wanted to check if it was possible before I even think of getting the wool for it.

I’m very sorry, but I’m having trouble viewing the photos (problem at my end). Hopefully someone else can comment on how hard it would be to increase the largest size in terms of the design.

Hi, I think it would be reasonably straight forward to scale up if you’re happy to swatch, measure, and tweak it a bit as you go! There’s quite a lot of ease in the pattern and it looks like a bulky yarn, so should be a quick knit.
Before buying wool, it’s worth spending some time with the pattern and looking at the gauge and the pattern schematic. Compare these with the measurements of a garment with which you are happy. You’ll probably need to just add some width at the bust/ hip and upper arm. Be aware that body measurements do not increase proportionately as the sizes increase. I’m not an expert and you might find info if you Google pattern grading, but if you need to add say 3 inches to the bust, you won’t need an extra 3 inches at the wrist or at the shoulder.
Also you might be able to go up a size if your gauge is looser than the pattern spec. or if the yarn you choose knits up differently. I sometimes find that I have to knit one size to get the next size up! If this is the case, you may need to scale down other aspects, like the shoulders.
Your pattern is stocking stitch so it should be easy to increase the stitch count in the areas you need extra width and decrease them again with more, or more frequent raglan decreases. Length shouldn’t be a problem as you can measure as you go.
I predominantly hand knit but sometimes use my single bed knitting machine and I can spend many hours working out how to translate a pattern to the machine and that’s always a good investment. So it’s worth spending a good chunk of time with the pattern and writing out your amendments before investing in the yarn. You could also buy one ball and swatch to see how your knitting works in relation to the pattern.
It’s a lot easier than it sounds and your lys would be helpful too!
Good luck - such fun!

1 Like

P.s. you probably won’t need to alter the neck or hood for one size increase so that bit should be easy!

I can see the photo now. Sorry about that.

So it’s a raglan cardigan with a hood, knitted without side seams. That’s promising.

How are the sleeves knitted? Are they joined in with the body once you get up to the armscye?

I’m thinking that, to get started, you can look at the increments between the cast-on number for each size for the body.

So say you cast on 100, 112, 124 for the various sizes, then you can cast on 12 stitches more than the largest size. (Providing your tension/gauge matches that given in the pattern.)

If you can’t work it out, please list the cast-on numbers and we’ll help you extrapolate!

If you are using the yarn given in the pattern, have a look at how much is required for each size. To be sure, I would purchase one additional ball above the amount given for the largest size.

Make sure to do a gauge/tension swatch.

I’ll be happy to help you work out the other numbers as you get to them e.g. sleeves, armscye.

In fact, you might find yourself working it out!

1 Like