Newbie wanting to learn knit for DD in dipes

Hi everyone! I’m new here and I have a DD in diapers…I would love to learn how to knit so I can make her longies, shorties, skirties, etc. Anyone have any words of wisdom on getting started? I’m guessing I have to start small, maybe socks, booties, scarves? I really have no idea what I’m getting myself into or how to reach my goal so any help would be soo appreciated! :muah:

Well, the good thing is all baby knits are small, quick projects.

Nobody in my family has any babies right now. But I’d do a search for baby knits. There are alot of free patterns out there. Or go to the library & see if they have anything baby knit books. Look for simple patterns with just knits or purls as a starter.

There are tons of free patterns for baby items. Knitting Pattern Central has a ton of free patterns.

Since you are just starting out you might want to try a simple scarf pattern first. That way you can get use to the different stitches (keeping them even with yarn tension) terminology, and basic techniques before tackling something a little more involved like a longies pattern.

My first knitting project was a scarf, and it was actually really great practice for things to come.

Best of luck to you!

Small projects don’t necessarily mean easy. The best thing to do is just start knitting, call it a scarf if you want, and just practice to learn the stitches and develop an even tension. There is a tutorial for “demo of a small project” in the tips section of the videos, plus there are other videos for various techniques.

Thanks, ladies! I went out and bought some needles and some cheap yarn to start. I began my first dishcloth yesterday! We’ll see how it goes! Thanks again

Welcome to KH! Can’t wait to see your first project :yay: