Newbie Troubles

Hello all, I’m knitting my first cardigan and having a little trouble with armholes. Would any kind soul help me decipher the following:

Next row (RS): K2, K2tog, K to last 4 sts, sl 1, K1, psso, K2.
65 [71: 79: 87: 97] sts.
Last row sets the decreases.
Working decreases as set, dec 1 st at each end of 2nd and foll 3 alt
rows. 57 [63: 71: 79: 89] sts

What does “dec 1 st at each end of 2nd and foll 3 alt” mean? Are 2nd and 3rd consecutive (one row after the other)? And if so, what does alternate mean in this context? If you would be so kind to spell it out for me, I will be forever grateful. Thanks so much!!

Hi, After working that 1st decrease row, work the next row as usual then, on the following row, decrease as you did before. The following 3 alternate rows means work 1 row and decrease again on the following row x 3.
Hope this helps, enjoy your knitting :grinning:

You are a star. Thank you!!

Can I be cheeky and ask for some help with the following?

Work each side of neck separately.
Cast off 3 sts at beg of next row.
Cast off rem 6 [7: 8: 8: 10] sts.
With RS facing, slip centre 19 [19: 21: 21: 23] sts onto a holder,
rejoin yarn and K to end.
Complete to match first side, reversing shapings.

Are the “rem 6 Sts” at the other end? How do I rejoin the yarn? Thank you ever so much folks!

Hi, You are working each side of the neck separately so, you cast off 3 sts at the beginning of the next row on one side then work to the end.Next row you cast off the remaining sts and cut the yarn. With the rs facing you, slip the center 19(whichever size you are doing)sts on to a holder then rejoin the yarn and knit to the end.You finish off by reversing the directions for shapings to match the other side.
This video shows how to rejoin your yarn(you only need to watch the bit about how to join in the yarn!! While the video is for some booties the principle is the same)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EAH5rXZqaA
After making the first stitch I usually take the tail of the rejoined yarn over the working yarn so it is ‘locked’ in place when you knit the following stitch.

Thanks so much, notknittingknots, you are so helpful. I feel inadequate posting here because I’m such a beginner, but this place has given me hope!

I may have one last question - once I cut my yarn, and slipped those 19 on a holder, do I use new yarn to rejoin/knit to the end? What is it that I need to knit to the end? Sorry for being so dumb!

Feel free to ask anything that you are not sure about, it’s always better to ask if unsure.
If you have enough yarn remaining from the ball you are using to complete the other side then just use that one.
Enjoy your knitting :smile:

You guys are the kindest and I have made some progress. And I am stuck again!

Work 3 rows, ending with RS facing for next row.
Dec 1 st at neck edge only on next and 5 [4: 6: 5: 7] foll 4th rows,
then on 0 [1: 0: 1: 0] foll 6th rows. 16 [19: 22: 26: 30] sts.

Are the numbers 5 and 0 referring to the number of rows I have to decrease on, and if so what does “foll 4th rows imply”?

Thank you ever so much

Hi, You will decrease 1st at the neck edge only on the next row. Then, you work 3 rows without decreases and on the following row(4th) you decrease 1st at the neck edge. You repeat doing this 5 times, work 3 rows decrease on the 4th x 5. Some people find it easier to think of these decreases as: [dec 1st at neck edge only on next row] call this your row 1, next decreases on rows 5, 9, 13,17 & 21.
In a pattern, where you see a 0 for an instruction in the size you are making, this means the instruction does not apply to your size and to move on to the next instruction. So for sizes 1,3,& 5 you do not decrease again on the following 6th row.

Hoping this helps
Linda

This is so much clearer than any pattern I’ve ever read. Thank you so much Linda. I can’t say with certainty I won’t be back, but I’m so very grateful this place exists!

Hello again my guardian angels.

I am a very illogical person and having trouble with reversing shaping. Specifically this:

“Shape armhole
Cast off 2 sts at beg of next row.
30 [33: 37: 41: 46] sts.
Work 1 row.
Working armhole decreases in same way as back armhole decreases,
dec 1 st at armhole edge of next and foll 4 alt rows and at same
time dec 1 st at front slope edge of next and 2 foll 4th rows.
22 [25: 29: 33: 38] sts.
Work 3 rows, ending with RS facing for next row.
Dec 1 st at neck edge only on next and 5 [4: 6: 5: 7] foll 4th rows,
then on 0 [1: 0: 1: 0] foll 6th rows. 16 [19: 22: 26: 30] sts.
Cont straight until left front matches back to beg of shoulder
shaping, ending with RS facing for next row.
Shape shoulder
Cast off 5 [6: 7: 9: 10] sts at beg of next and foll alt row.
Work 1 row.
Cast off rem 6 [7: 8: 8: 10] sts.”

For the right front, it asks me to do the following:

Beg with a K row, now working in st st throughout, cont as folls:
Cont straight until right front matches left front to beg of front
slope shaping.
Shape front slope
Next row (RS): K2, K2tog, K to end.
Complete to match left front, reversing shapings.

How should I go about reversing shapings, what point should I start from? Thanks so much!!!

Sorry I didn’t realise I was in a hurry/panic when I wrote this and I should rephrase:

What is the reverse for
K1, psso, K2
And for K2together

And when I cast off, do I cast off from the wrong side this time?

Thanks so much!